Urch Forums

GRE question - 169 quant good enough?

Navratan

Hello folks,

First, I just wanted to say that I've been following this forum for about a year, and now that I plan on applying for Ph.D programmes in the fall, I figured I would join in more actively! Thanks, everyone, for the edifying discussion in your posts.

I wrote my GRE last month, and scored 170V, 169Q, and 6AW. I am looking at the top 10 schools, and know that even small differences in one's application can make a difference given how competitive admissions are. My question, then, is it worth retaking the GRE to try to get 170 in quantitative? I did so in most of my practice tests so it could be possible, but paying to write the test again could potentially make rewriting unnecessary. Do you think there is any chance that this hole in my application could be a deciding factor.

Cheers,

Nav

The GRE is not an important part of PhD applications. If you're wasting time over things like these, you have a totally incorrect conception about how PhD admissions works, and chances are there are other holes in your application you should address with your time.

He has to be trolling.