Urch Forums

Econ PhD - 162 Quant, what are my chances?

Soccer435

I'm looking to apply to Econ PhD programs this fall and trying to determine my chances/where I should aim. I just took the GRE and got a 162 quantitative and a 168 verbal. I have a masters in international economics and research work experience with an economics focus. I have a 3.5 undergrad GPA from a top 20 school, and 3.8 masters' GPA. I have not taken a ton of math courses-- I have taken some stats classes, multivariate calculus, diff eq and linear algebra, and advanced econometrics.

Is my quant score too low to even be looked at by a top 20 school? I am planning to retake the GRE but not sure how big of a difference that will make if I get a 163 or 164. Thank you.

You will almost certainly be automatically screened out of most top-50 programs without a second look unless you have a letter writer with connections who can ensure a more thorough review of your application somewhere. Even a 163 or 164 is probably too low to get much consideration. You want to improve your score to at least 165, but 167+ is ideal if you have hopes of getting an offer from a top-20.

You should post your full profile here if you want an appraisal, but based on the limited information you've provided, I think a top-20 is likely going to be quite a reach unless you've got stellar research experience and letter writers. I say that even assuming you were to get a 167+ quantitative score.

Edited by thagzone

I know several students with 1~63Q at top 40 departments. All of them are American, I believe. It's hard to know whether or not this is typical.

It's certainly possible for a top-50, but I understand the GRE cutoffs are becoming more and more strict each year as the applicant pool grows deeper and more competitive.

OP, check results for schools you're interested in on Gradcafe. You'll notice that the instance of an acceptance reported for top-40/50 with a GRE score below 165Q is extremely rare. For top-20 programs, which OP specifically asked about, I think you'll have a hard time finding more than a case or two in the last couple years.

The GPA and possible lack of decent LORs (from what I can extrapolate from the info) are going to be a much bigger problem than the GRE.

I know someone with 163Q who got offers from all top 5s, so as far as I can tell there is no strict cutoff for GRE scores (it could still be a big factor if your math background is weak; the person in mind had an incredible profile). It's the mediocre GPA and lack of any advanced math that'll almost certainly keep OP out of the top 40.

Let me add to what Chateauheart has said. Here are a couple of quotes from excellent, but not top 20, programs

UNC:

In general, the Quantitative GRE score must be 156 or above in order for an application to be competitive, but applicants with considerable strengths in other areas may be admitted and funded.

Michigan State:

most successful applicants have a quantitative score above 160.

I am agreeing with what chateauheart and startz have said. You can certainly get into good programs with lower Q scores, but you need some reason for the adcom to pick your application out of the auto-reject pile, such as a recommender that is pulling strings. People making it into a top-20 program despite a Q score as low as 163 are by far the exception, not the rule. Unless you've got some good reason to think you'll survive the initial GRE screening process, you're just not going to get any looks with a Q score that low. It didn't sound to me, albeit from limited information, that OP had any such good reason.