Urch Forums

Econ Master Profile Evaluation 2016

joemartin60

Hello everyone!

I have been following the forums for a while, but this is my first post! :D I would like to apply next year to Masters in Econ. I am not sure whether I want to do a PhD nor whether I could actually enter into a good one directly (I don't think so), hence I consider that a master would be a great option to measure myself and to increase my chances for good programs in case I finally move on to a PhD. I was considering to apply to Oxford (Mphil and Ec for Dev), Cambridge, LSE, PSE, UC3M, CEMFI, BGSE and perhaps the top Canadian ones (UBC, Toronto). However, I am not sure as to where to I stand, so it would be really helpful if someone could give me a bit of advice.

Type of Undergrad: BSc in Economics at Top 5 Continental Europe University.

Undergrad GPA: Top 2-3% of the class. Thesis w/ Distinction

Type of Grad: -

Grad GPA: -

GRE: Not yet.

Undergrad Math Courses: Calc I/II (A/A-/), Advanced Math for Eco (A), Statistics I/II (A-, A-).

Undergrad Econ Courses: Micro I/II (A-/A), Adv Micro (A-), Macro I/II/III (A+, A+, A), Econometrics I/II (A+, A+), Quant Micro (A+), Public Econ (B), Game Theory (A), Applied Econ (A-), Econ Dev I/II (A, A+), few other econ courses (As)

Research Experience (undergrad): 1 semester at national central bank doing research project (open macro), will probably be published as an ocassional paper of the bank. 2 semesters at top national economics think tank, RA for and co-authored policy paper with domestically very well-known professor.

Letters of Recommendation: One from thesis advisor (PhD from top 10, should be quite good), one from think tank professor (PhD from top 25, should be very good), one from university professor (A+ in his course, I expect it to be average, top 25 PhD).

Interests: Macro & Development

Concerns: No grad level courses, not lots of math.

Other: Good use of Stata & eviews. Exchange semester in China. Internship at top management consultancy, internship at econ department of ministry of foreign affairs.

Any thoughts? Some other masters I should apply to?

Thanks a lot! =)

Edited by joemartin60

As far as I can tell, your grades check out (so all A's), and you are indeed from a very good european department, then I dont see any reason why at least one of these programmes shouldnt admit you. Given your interest in macro and development, I dont think I'd recommend anymore programmes, your top picks you probably be: Oxford, LSE, BGSE, and PSE. But otherwise that's it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I was also considering those programs as my top picks, especially Oxford and PSE. Going slightly off-topic, what GRE marks would not only not damage an application like mine but slightly boost the chances of admission?

From others threads I have the impression that at least 165+Q, and decent V and AWA (percentile +70 in both). Is that correct?