Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call 2016

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Roll Call 2016

Sponsored Ad:
    The format to use is here. Please only post profiles, anything else will be deleted as these profiles are used for data analysis by one of our members.

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses:
    Econ Courses (grad-level):
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level):
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests:
    SOP:
    Concerns:
    Other:
    Applying to:

Integrating WRT Poke Ball

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

re: Roll Call 2016

Type of Undergrad: Small liberal arts college; relatively unknown with no graduate program in economics.
    Major(s): B.A. Economics & Political Science Minor in Mathematics
    Undergrad GPA: 3.953 Cumulative, Economics 4.0, Mathematics 4.0
    Relevant Honors: Honors Program, International Honor Society in Economics (Omicron Delta Epsilon), Dean's List.
    GRE: Q 163 =( V 161 AW 5.0 (registered to take again)
    Math Courses: Differential Calculus (A), Integral Calculus (A), Multivariable Calculus (A), Differential Equations (A), Discrete Mathematics and Intro to Proof (A), Linear Algebra – proof based (Fall 2015), Probability and Statistics I – calculus based (Fall 2015), Probability and Statistics II (Spring 2015), Abstract Algebra (Spring 2015), Numerical Analysis (Spring 2015).
    Planned on having Real Analysis this fall but it conflicted with a required course in my major and neither department could change times or offer a directed study. Not offered again before I graduate. =,(
    Econ Courses: Principles of Micro (A), Principles of Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Managerial Economics (A), Money and Finance (A), International Economics (A), Econometrics (A), Public Finance (Fall 2015).
    Other Courses: Coursework in Constitutional Law, Foreign Policy and International Relations.
    Letters of Recommendation: I'm expecting very strong recommendations from three professors whom I have taken multiple classes with. One professor is the department chair, who I have done research with, one is the co-founder of a well-known journal on heterodox economics, and the third also teaches at a significantly more prestigious college in Boston.
    Research Experience: Did econometrics research under the department chair measuring the contribution of exports to economic growth in Germany. Utilized time series data from FRED and cited other studies that employed Granger Causality and unit root cointegration tests. Currently writing Honors Thesis on a topic in Public Finance.
    Teaching Experience: Economics department tutor for over two years, assisting students in principles as well as Intermediate courses and upper-level electives. Mathematics tutor in the college’s drop-in tutoring center, helping students in courses ranging from pre-calculus to Differential Equations.
    Research Interests: Econometrics, Growth Theory, Public Finance
    SOP: Work in progress; want to touch upon how far I've come in terms of math background since I started college (I placed into pre-calculus).
    Other: Sometimes I wonder how aliens would allocate scarce resources that have alternative uses.
    Familiar with R and a few other programming languages.
    Applying to: Boston College, University of Virginia, Boston University, Brown University, UCSD, UCLA, Harvard (why not?), MIT (why not?), Clark, USC (maybe), Duke (maybe), Tufts (MA).

Doing w/ever Catrina Does superduper's Avatar

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BA in Econ from small state school.
    Undergrad GPA: 3.56
    Type of Grad: MA in Econ
    Grad GPA: 3.67
    GRE: 163Q 155V 4.0AW (results from 2yrs ago; will retake)
    Math Courses (grad-level): Matrix Analysis (A), Optimization (A), Mathematical Statistics I (B), Applied Statistics I (B+), Multivariate Methods (A), Time Series (A)
    Math Courses (undergrad-level): Calc sequence (As), Linear Algebra (A), Diff Eq. (B), Real Analysis I & II (A,A), Probability Theory (A), Mathematical Statistics (B)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD Micro at Hopkins (B-), Master’s Micro & Macro (A,A), Metrics I & II (A,B), Labor (A), Independent Study in Econ Development (A-)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): the usual.
    Other Courses: Nothing Relevant
    Letters of Recommendation: Should be good. This time my recommenders actually know me and I tried to make a good impression.
    Research Experience: Capstone project. I tried to impress the department with my project, which involved a combination of theory and econometrics, with some simulations and even a small proof. Also, I worked as an RA for a government agency. It wasn’t econ-related but there was plenty of stats and data.
    Teaching Experience: Might teach at a community college this coming spring, but not sure yet.
    Research Interests: Micro and Metrics
    SOP: Standard. Will try to explain some of the deficiencies in my record.
    Concerns: My grade in the micro course I took at Hopkins. Won’t get into the details of how I managed to get that grade, but I do believe it will hurt me a lot in the admission process. Also, my academic record is incredibly patchy, with a lot of mixed signals. I literally have every grade you can get, aside from an F.
    Other: Currently taking a year off to work as a data analyst for a state government. I'm proficient with R and SAS, but barely know how to use Stata.
    Applying to: Everywhere below Hopkins per the US News ranking. Also applying to some public health programs. Realistically, my ideal school would be something like Georgetown or Notre Dame.

Within my grasp!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    BA in math, flagship state university ranked 80's in US News, no econ grad program.
    Undergrad GPA: 3.63
    Type of Grad: MA in Econ at a flagship state university in a different state with a masters but no doctoral program
    Grad GPA: 4.0 after first year
    GRE: 170V /168Q /5 AW
    Math Courses (undergrad level): Calc I/II/III (A-/B/B) Linear Algebra (B+) Fundamentals of Math (intro to proofs) (A) Ordinary Differential Equations (B+) Combinatorial Theory (A) Abstract Algebra I (A-) Applied Probability (A) Elementary Number Theory (A-) Mathematical Biology and Ecology (A) Real Analysis I (A) Probability and Statistics I (A)
    Math Courses (masters level): Mathematical Statistics (Fall 2015)
    Econ Courses (undergrad level): Intermediate micro (A)
    Econ Course (masters level): Micro I/II (A/A) Econometrics I/II (A/A) Macro (Fall 2015)
    Letters of Recommendation: One from the prof I RA for, one from a micro prof and one from an econometrics prof. I think they will be strong but probably not phenomenal.
    Research Experience: 2 years as an RA in my master’s program and master’s thesis, both unrelated to my stated research interests.
    Teaching experience: Taught high school math for a few years
    Research Interests: Public Economics, Health, Labor … all highly malleable at the present time.
    SOP: Decent I suppose. I'd like to believe I write well but lack of definite research interests made it difficult.
    Applying to:Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, NC State, Rice, U of Oregon, Syracuse, Iowa State, UI Chicago, Georgia State, UConn, UMN Applied Econ. If this seems an odd list, it’s because my husband is also applying to PhD programs in another field. We are applying to some schools that work very well for me, but not as well for him, and vice versa.

Concerns: Innumerable. B's in many of the key math classes during the first two years of undergrad exacerbated by less than prestigious undergrad and master’s institutions. Master’s thesis and RA work unrelated to my stated research interests. Applying to some schools that aren’t a great fit due to my partner’s needs. Also that we may not end up being accepted at any matching programs.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

PROFILE: Current undergrad at top 15 Econ Department U.S.
    Type of Undergrad: Double major in Economics (With Honors) and Mathematics - Currently in senior year
    Undergrad GPA: 3.85
    Type of Grad: None
    Grad GPA:
    None
    GRE: 170 Q 158 V 4.5 AWA (International student)
    Math Courses: Calc I-II-III (A,A,A) Linear Algebra - (proof) (A), Abstract Algebra (Proof) (A) ,
    Diff EQ (B+), Real Analysis - Undergrad (A), Next semester Topology (Grad) and Optimization Theory (Grad)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro Phd - Currently (Expected A/A-), and a couple of field PhD classes.
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A), Game Theory (A-), Econometrics 1 (B+), Econometrics 2 (A), Financial Econometrics / Time Series (A+) and a few As in "non-relevant" undergrad econ classes.
    Letters of Recommendation: 3-4 Stellar faculty in department that get published really often. Know me really well and will provide awesome rec letters.
    Research Experience: Honors Thesis, Supervised research under stellar faculty, 1.5+ years of relevant RA experience with one top faculty in department (2+ years by the time I graduate).
    Outcome of research experience: 4+ original research papers.
    Teaching Experience: Summer tutoring Undergrad classes in Math, Stats and Econ.
    Research Interests: Macro, Econometrics
    SOP: I talk about my research, experiences
    Concerns: I have a couple of B+s.
    Other:
    Applying to: Top 10 (MIT, Harvard, NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, etc)

Re: Roll Call 2016

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Economics and Physics (with Honors), top 15 Econ department
    Undergrad GPA: 3.31
    Type of Grad: M.S. Economics, top 15 Econ department
    Grad GPA: 3.85
    GRE: 166Q / 163V / 5.0W
    Math Courses: Real Analysis (AB), Differential Equations (AB), Linear Algebra (AB), Calculus-II/III - (A/AB).
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Math for Economists (AB), Microeconomics-I/II - (A/AB), Econometrics I/II (A/A), Macroeconomics (A). Taking Econometrics III, PhD Microeconomics I, PhD Macroeconomics I right now. Confident of an A in Metrics.
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Game Theory (BC), Econometrics (BC), Economic Growth (AB), Honors Thesis (A), Wealth Economics (A), Markets with Frictions (A)
    Other Courses: Have a B.S. in Physics as well, so various Physics related courses with a 3.5 GPA.
    Letters of Recommendation: Two stellar/brand name professors, one of whom I've RA'ed for for 2 years now. A third under whom I've written my writing sample - also widely published.
    Research Experience: Honors Thesis on macroeconometrics, Working paper with a PhD student on public economics, Masters Thesis on health economics.
    Teaching Experience: N/A
    Research Interests: Empirical Micro/Microeconometrics, Macroeconometrics
    SOP: Talk about research mostly. Should I address bad undergraduate performance, or excuse it?
    Concerns: Bad, bad undergrad performance, my undergrad GPA graph is a nice U shape. Hoping graduate courses kind of reflect "true" ability. Lots will depend on how I do on the PhD courses I'm taking right now.
    Other:
    Applying to: Broadly to top 30, will probably throw in a top 10 or two (Berkeley, NYU - why not?). Really hoping for a top 20 school (UCLA, Michigan, Cornell). Will probably have one or two safeties from 30-40 (Washington, Virginia).
    Last edited by nishaadrao; 10-20-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: additional info

Trying to make mom and pop proud repave's Avatar

PROFILE: repave
    Type of Undergrad: top Canadian
    Undergrad GPA: 3.90 / 4.00
    Type of Grad: -
    Grad GPA: -

GRE: 168Q 166V 5.5AWA
    Math Courses: Analysis (single-variable A+ multi-variable A+), Algebra (A+ B+), Probability and Statistics (C A- A-), ODE (A-), Topology (A), Real Analysis (A), PhD Real Analysis (halfway done, A+)
    Econ Courses: lower level courses (As), Advanced Micro (A+), Advanced Macro (A+), Econometrics (A A+ A+), a number of undergrad field courses (As all round). PhD Micro I (halfway done, A+)
    Other Courses: nothing worth mentioning
    Letters of Recommendation: very very amazing people who think I’m ok (I hope)
    Research Experience: RA 1 year for a “cute but useless” project part time, RA 2 years for development research center, 1 year RA for prof

Teaching Experience: virtually none
    Research Interests: political, health, urban
    SOP: nothing special
    Other: a number of computer programs

Applying to: who knows

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: B.Sc. in Economics and Management Science, not well-known German university with small Econ dept (perhaps Top 20 in Germany)
    Undergrad GPA: 3.95 (WES converted); 1.5 in German system (1=best, 5=worst), ranked 11/419
    Type of Grad: M.Sc. Economics (two years) from same university,
    Research Master Dev Econ (1 year) from relatively well-known French uni (Top 20 in Europe)
    Grad GPA: 3.7 (WES converted), 2.0 (German grade) for the 2-year Master, 3.5-3.6 (WES converted), 14.7/20 (French grade) for the 1-year Master
    GRE: 167Q/166V/awaiting AW (4.0 at first try)
    Math Courses: all I could choose, 'Math for Economists' (A-), 'Statistics and Probability theory' (B),
    Econ Courses (grad-level): countless, most rigorous ones were 'Advanced Macro'(A), 'Advanced Micro'(B-), 'Advanced Stats and Econometrics' (B+), 'Microeconometrics' (A), 'International Economic Policy' (A+)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): too many to name them all, for example 'Intermediate Macro' (A+), 'Intermediate Micro'(A), 'Econometrics' (A+)
    Other Courses: some BA and Law courses at undergraduate level
    Letters of Recommendation: 1st very strong from Master thesis supervisor (active in research, but not famous, knows me very well),
    2nd very strong from Bachelor thesis supervisor (same qualities as the 1st recommender, but knows me longer),
    3rd letter is shared between 3 Macro and Econometrics Profs, should be good, but not too detailed
    Research Experience: BSc and Msc thesis, countless term papers, short-term RA at Econometrics chair, short-term research intern at famous research institute
    Teaching Experience: TA for Intermediate Micro and Intro Econ, around 1 year
    Research Interests: Development, (Empirical) Macro, Applied Econometrics
    SOP: one customized paragraph explaining my research interests and experiences, one generic paragraph trying to explain my math background (which is not as bad as it looks at first sight) and a few very disappointing grades at the grad level (especially the 'Advanced Micro' red flag)...but to be honest, my explanation is not very convincing
    (Main) Concerns: 1.) Bad grade in Graduate Micro 2.) graduate GPAs are lower than undergraduate (although the conversion of the French grades seems very unfortunate, I was among the best students there) 3.) my German uni is unknown in the US, and I don't think our small Econ department has sent many PhD student there in the last years 4.) I did not really include safeties, mostly applying to 'long shots' and perhaps a few 'reaches', I would say, especially considering the fact I'll need full funding
    Other: will use a part of my Master thesis as a writing sample, I think it isn't too bad and can only work in my favor at those programs who allow for it (and actually read it)
    Applying to: UMinn, Brown, Boston U, Boston C, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCSB, UC Boulder, also 3 Swedish Universities (SSE, Stockholm U, Uppsala U)

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BA in Human Resource Management at a well-known university in my country

Undergrad GPA: 3.43/4
    Type of Grad: MA in Applied Economics at a top Asian university
    Grad GPA: 4.75/5
    GRE: Q168 V157 AWA 3.5
    Math Courses: Calculus I/II (A/A-) Linear Algebra (D) Probability and Statistics (A-)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): micro macro econometrics (master-level) econometrics (phd-level) financial econometrics public finance, all A or A+. Advanced international trade (phd level) B+
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): micro labor all A-
    Letters of Recommendation: one from my current employer and one from my co-author, both are faculty members at a top asian university. We are working on a research paper in health economics and they know my academic ability very well, should be quite strong. The third one is from a faculty member of the department where I received the master's degree, should be good (but who knows)
    Research Experience: 6-months graduate RA. 2-year full-time RA for the first LoR, have one working paper in health economics, and one research project in labor in progress.
    Teaching Experience: none
    Research Interests: labor, development, environmental
    SOP: Only talk about my research experience and interests, and some future plans. Mentioned one professor for each school whom I'd like to work with. I didn't mention my math background as I don't know how to explain the atrocious linear algebra grade in a good way. Anyway, I suppose they could know my ability from my grad GPA, research experience and LoRs.
    Concerns: A lot, AWA, math background, undergrad major, and the third LoR.
    Applying to: Northwestern, Columbia, UC Berkeley ARE, Maryland AREc, Maryland Econ, Brown, Rochester, UCSD, Boston U, Boston C, Virginia, U of Washington, UIUC, Rice, HKUST

Finding a new home

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Unknown International University
    Undergrad GPA: 3.67
    Type of Grad: Northwestern University, Kellogg
    Grad GPA: 3.12
    GRE: 331
    Math Courses: Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Dynamic Programming, Measure Theory
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro Theory, Econometrics, Optimization Methods
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): The usual bunch, a lot of electives
    Other Courses: Random business school classes in undergrad
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from undergrad, 1 from grad, and 1 from the uni which I am working at
    Research Experience: pretty scattered. now on philanthropy and social enterprises.
    Teaching Experience: in undergraduate studies.
    Research Interests: applied micro
    SOP: talked about research ideas
    Concerns: out of school for 4 years
    Other:
    Applying to: vanderbilt, rand, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information