Urch Forums

GPA Ranking: which one is a better signal?

toalwhen

Hi guys,

Here is a small question for the GPA ranking. I don't think it is very important but interesting enough to ask for your opinions.

In my home university, there are two types of GPA ranking. The first one is the ranking among the whole program, including students from finance, accounting and economics. In the whole program, there are roughly 200 students, who were recruited after the college entrance examination by using the same standard. I the following years, students in this program can choose different direction as their major, including finance, accounting, economics and trade. In this approach, my ranking is roughly 10/200.

The second approach is ranking among each direction. In the second year, I chose economics (honored class) as my major. In this major (economics (honored class)), students take courses in English and take more math courses. Usually, courses in this direction are more difficult. In this approach, my ranking is roughly 1/16.

Suppose that admission committees have little information about this program (I think this is a reasonable assumption because this setting is weird enough), which type of ranking can send better signal? I think the difference is very trivial.I discussed this question with my friends but we have very different opinions. So I am really curious about how you guys think about this problem. Welcome to any opinions.