Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2016 (Master, Barcelona GSE)

wholequest

Summary: A not-so-strong math undergrad from Indonesia who want to study master economics in Barcelona GSE.

Longer form:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Math undergraduate from top university in Indonesia

Undergrad GPA: 3.44/4.00, but listed as 3.55/4.00 in transcript due to dropping some excess B- grade.

Type of Grad: -

Grad GPA: -

GRE: Not taken yet.

IELTS: No taken yet, expect for 6.5 - 7.0 score

Math Courses: Intro to Mathematics (A), Elementary Linear Algebra (B), Linear Algebra (B), Discrete Math (A-), Intro to Statistics (A), Multivariable Calculus (A), Intro to Differential Equation (A), Intro to Complex Analysis (B), Numerical Mathematics (A-), Probability Theory (A), Intro to Real Analysis (A-), Mathematical Modeling (A), Intro to Optimization (A-), Algebraic Structure (A, taken twice), Intro to Differential Geometry ©, Intro to Stochastic Process (B-), Selected Topics in Analysis (Topology) (A), Risk Models (B), with undergrad thesis to model bank balance sheet with system ODE.

Econ Courses: no economics department in our university; this courses is coming from math department. Introduction to Theory of Interest (B), [Master courses -->] International Financial Mathematics (i.e, International Finance f) (A-), Financial Econometrics (B)

Other Courses: from management department : Bank Management and Other Financial Services (A), Project Management (A) no other meaningful courses.

Letters of Recommendation: One from math assistant professor who could give good recommendation, actively looking for other LOR

Research Experience: 1 semesters to model economic impact of national scholarship grant to Indonesia economy (part of Math Modeling course)

Teaching Experience: 2 semesters in the university's mathematical aid center; mainly for first-year students in calculus.

Research Interests: mostly macro, most importantly monetary policy, and education economics

SOP: ?

Other: Given my lack of background in econ, I take some MOOCs: Economics of Money and Banking, The Power of Macroeconomics, Monte Carlo Methods in Finance, Credit Risk Management, and Understanding the Fed.

I want to enter Barcelona GSE's Master program in Economics or Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets. However, I fear that my lack of economics courses (especially Micro) and bad grade on Linear Algebra and Stochastic Process courses weighed me down. Could anyone please opinion on this profile?

Hello,

Of course I don't know exactly how the selection process is carried out. But given my personal experience as a student, and the statistics that they share with us, I am under the impression that they only reject people if they see a serious problem with their profiles. It doesn't seem to be your case, and quite frankly, your math background would help you. Now, if you're expecting to receive tuition waivers, that's a different matter, because that's more competitive.

But if money is not an issue, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get in. Also, if you score higher than 160Q in your GRE, I'm pretty sure it will help you get admitted.

Good luck! Cheers!