Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for 2016

AkiraHatake

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Mathematical Econ undergrad from unranked school (international student)

Undergrad GPA: 3.78/4.00, top 2% of department

Type of Grad: -

Grad GPA: -

GRE: Q-165, V-152, AW 4 (I'm gonna retake)

Math Courses: Cal I (A), Cal 2(B), Cal 3(B), Linear Algebra (A), Probability Theory (B), Mathematical Statistics (A), Introduction to Real Analysis (A)

Econ Courses: Intro to Macro and Micro (both A), Intermediate Micro and Macro (both A), advanced Macro (B), International Econ (A), Managerial Econ (A), Transportation Econ (A), Econometrics I (A)

Letters of Recommendation: One from math professor from my Real Analysis class, other two from Econ Professors (I am a RA for one of them)

Research Experience: class projects for Transportation Econ and Econometrics. University Symposium Research member on Monetary Policy. RA for a research in Asia (on insurance), almost a year RA for one of my professor (on gas prices)

Teaching Experience: 4 semesters working as a tutor (up to intermediate Micro and Macro)

Research Interests: health economics, public econ

Other: I transferred from a community college so could not get more math and econ in the 1st and 2nd year. In university, I was under pressure of graduation (financial problem) so I could not prolong to take more classes.

The schools I attended only grade on A,B,C,D. Almost all the Bs I have was around 89% (sad)

Please tell me where I should aim for, (target, main, and safe). Do I have a chance for PhD this year? How can I improve my profile now? (I am already graduated) Thank you very much for all your help.

Edited by AkiraHatake

Admissions tend to be particularly noisy for those coming from low-ranked undergrads, so I would recommend applying to a wide range of schools. Given your background, I would think that your target range would be schools ranked 50-70, but apply to some reaches above that and some safeties below that.

I wouldn't say that a low start is impossible to catch up from, just difficult. I managed to do so to a large extent, but it involved taking a fair amount of extra coursework (far more than you have) that may not have been necessary if I had come from a higher ranked institution. I did, however, learn a lot in the process.

Good luck!