Urch Forums

Diversity Statements: Are you leaving optional statements empty?

leonm

Dear everyone,

I am not used to writing diversity statements for applications; honestly, writing them makes me feel slightly dirty. It seems to be required for certain universities (e.g. Berkeley) - fine, if everybody has to embarrass themselves, so can I. But what is the deal with other universities (e.g. Stanford), where this statement is optional - did the cisgender-male-straight-white-middleclass people among you leave these empty or did you write something just in case? If so, does anybody have an example what kind of stuff you could write about? This whole experience is very strange to me.

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,

leonm

Edited by leonm

Now that the sweat thread is up, this should probably go there.

I am going to fill out mine, just because I think it is a good exercise. Although I am said cisgender-mail-straight-white-middleclass you refer to, I can still talk about times I overcame adversity. In my case, I am going to talk about how I am the first person in my family to try to pursue a PhD. As a result, growing up, I didn't have really any guidance as to how to go about preparing for graduate school; I had to learn everything by myself.