Urch Forums

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a trouble as of now because I haven't gotten any answer from one of my letter writers.

Long story made short; I did an MSc in Econ at a top European department, I didn't excel in everything, but I managed to get some really good grades in a few classes. Because of this, three professors agreed to write LoRs for me for the PhD application process. I talked to them in April, and then tried re-confirm and set up the details in August. Two of them already said yes, however one of them hasn't answered any of my e-mails (I'm not in Europe anymore, which obviously complicates things).

Now, this last professor is fairly famous and therefore really busy, so it might very well be that he hasn't had time to read any of my e-mails. However, since I didn't get any answer back, I contacted his assistant, who in turn forwarded my e-mail to him. So I can almost be 100% certain that he read it and actively decided to ignore it. His assistant also told me to call him at one particular time, because he would be at his office, but I couldn't reach him via phone either.

Now naturally, given that he is the most famous one of my recommenders, I really need his letter. What baffles me is that he was super nice when we spoke in April and said he'd gladly write the letter. And, while I understand that he is insanely busy, an answer of the type: "I've read your e-mail, I'm pretty busy atm, we'll arrange the details later" would be enough.

I would like to know if anybody has been in a similiar situation or if anybody has some suggestions about what course of action to follow. I don't want to pester him with e-mails and calls, in case that makes him say he won't write the letter anymore. But I also don't want a lot of time to pass and then two weeks before deadlines, have him say he doesn't have time to do it, or he'll simply won't do it.

Any advice/comment is welcome. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Call again, and daily until he answers. It's not your responsibility to be cautious/polite at this moment, given that he did promise to provide you something important. Chances are he was just busy, but even if he was actually ignoring you, you need to get a confirmation ASAP so you can think about back-up options.