Urch Forums

Singapore university or Apply to the US

Hyung Gyu Rho

Hi, I am shortlisted for National University of Singapore, not that I get an offer. However, if I get an offer, I will have to accept it by the end of this month. This also means that I cannot apply to the US university. I can ask Singapore university to give me the offer next March, but that mitigates the change of getting the offer. So, I am asking for an advice, telling from my profit, should I ask Singapore university to give me the offer next March so I can apply to the US, or Just take the early offer if I get?

In my university, 80+ is H1, equivalent to A in the US according to Michgan University, 75-79 is H2A, equivalent to A-, 70-74 is H2B, equivalent to B.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top Australian University, Top in Economics (according to QS)

Undergrad GPA: N/A (we do not use GPA)

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: V 152/ Q 167/ W 3

Math Courses: Maths for Economists (taking now, Phd level, Real Analysis + a bit of functional analysis).

Econ Courses (under grad): Intro-micro (H1, 80), intro-macro (H2B, 72), quantitative method 1 (H1, 80), intermediate-micro (H1, 85), intermediate-macro (H1, 92), quantitative method 2 (H2B, 72), Micro(H1, 86), Macro (H1, 93), Basic econometrics (H2A, 78), Econometrics (H1, 86), Economics of Financial market (H1, Top, 92), industrial economics (H1, 81)

Econ Courses (grad): Advanced micro (H1, 92), Advanced Macro (H1, 83), Econometrics technics (H1, 96), Game theory (taking now), Economics of market and competition (taking now)

Other Courses: Finance courses (mostly H1, one H2A, one H2B)

Letters of Recommendation: one from honours thesis advisor, one from RA, one from course coordinators

Research Experience: RA (empirical micro), Honours thesis (pure theory micro)

Teaching Experience: 3rd year (presumably the same as 4th year in the US) subject

Research Interests: Microeconomics (mechanism design, I/O)

SOP: Haven't written yet

Other: I can use Matlab if it helps for PhD admission.