See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math camp at Rice Online

Trying to make mom and pop proud

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Math camp at Rice Online

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi everyone,

Let me start be re-introducing myself. I am Hulya Eraslan, the director of graduate studies and interim chair at Rice.

As part of the many changes that have gone on recently at Rice (see http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...gram-rice.html and http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...niversity.html), this year we have instituted an online math camp, in order to be able to cover more material over the summer without necessitating that students arrive in Houston substantially before the math camp starts. Additionally, this allows the math camp to be open to non-Rice students as well who would like a chance to develop their mathematics skills further.

As someone who deals with admissions from the "other side", I can see that there are many talented students whose primary flaw in their application lies in having a limited math background or a lack of an ability to formally demonstrate their knowledge of mathematics. Therefore, we at Rice have decided to offer this course during the fall as well in order to give non-Rice students the opportunity to take it and demonstrate their mathematics knowledge prior to applying to PhDs programs.

The math camp lasts for a month and is quite comprehensive, providing an extensive overview of real analysis, linear algebra, calculus, and difference and differential equations.

The course will run from September 19, 2016 to October 14, 2016 and at the end you will receive a Statement of Completion showing your grade in the course and listing in detail the material that the math camp has covered. A syllabus is attached.

For more information, contact RiceOnline@rice.edu.

Best,
    Hulya

P.S. I will be holding a web conference soon in which I will discuss admissions is general (not only specifically related to Rice). If you may be interested in attending, be on the lookout for another post announcing this soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hkke; 08-31-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Typos and formatting

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Math camp at Rice Online

If anyone takes this during the fall semester, a "review" or some comments on your experience would be a great resource for others.

Good post? Yes | No

Sounds interesting. Do you think it's helpful even when applying to other universities?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Abdulmohsen View Post
    Sounds interesting. Do you think it's helpful even when applying to other universities?
    Hi Abdulmohsen,

That is a good question and I am glad you asked it. I expect attending the online math camp to be useful for applying to other universities too. The important thing for application purposes is to be able to credibly demonstrate your math background to the admissions committee at each school to which you apply. Taking this course can help you do so, particularly if you attach the syllabus which demonstrates the topics covered so that an admissions committee unfamiliar with the course can verify its rigor. It would probably also help to mention something about it in your statement of purpose.

Best,
    Hulya

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by hkke View Post
    Hi Abdulmohsen,

That is a good question and I am glad you asked it. I expect attending the online math camp to be useful for applying to other universities too. The important thing for application purposes is to be able to credibly demonstrate your math background to the admissions committee at each school to which you apply. Taking this course can help you do so, particularly if you attach the syllabus which demonstrates the topics covered so that an admissions committee unfamiliar with the course can verify its rigor. It would probably also help to mention something about it in your statement of purpose.

Best,
    Hulya
    Thank you so much for your helpful answer.

Good post? Yes | No

Hello everyone,

I received several messages inquiring how to register. Please see the link below for registration information.
    Math Camp for Economics PhD Students Rice Online

Best,
    Hulya Eraslan

Good post? Yes | No

Hello everyone,

I received several messages inquiring how to register. Please see the link below for registration information.
    Math Camp for Economics PhD Students Rice Online

Best,
    Hulya Eraslan
    Actually there is an issue with the registration system -at least for me using different browsers- the second step shows a wrong class dates and pricing.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi Abdulmohsen,

Best,
    Hulya
    Hi, I am an international student with a degree in engineering and wants to apply for Economics Master's for 2017 academic year. I have taken a lot of math courses during college but I'm not sure how relevant they will be for econ masters. So, will this crash course in math help me strengthen my profile. Thanks and any comment will be very valuable.

P.S Presently, I do not have a detailed description about topics covered in math during college but if it's needed for more through profile evaluation then I can post that at a later date.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Sam2791 View Post
    Hi, I am an international student with a degree in engineering and wants to apply for Economics Master's for 2017 academic year. I have taken a lot of math courses during college but I'm not sure how relevant they will be for econ masters. So, will this crash course in math help me strengthen my profile. Thanks and any comment will be very valuable.

P.S Presently, I do not have a detailed description about topics covered in math during college but if it's needed for more through profile evaluation then I can post that at a later date.
    Hi Sam2791,

My background is similar -- my undergraduate degree is in computer engineering and I took a lot of math courses during college. But it was only when I took real analysis during graduate school that I realized I did not have as much understanding as I thought I did. Most schools look for a background in real analysis, at least an exposure to it. This crash course is designed to help with that part of your application package.

Best,
    Hulya Eraslan

Good post? Yes | No

Hi Sam2791,

My background is similar -- my undergraduate degree is in computer engineering and I took a lot of math courses during college. But it was only when I took real analysis during graduate school that I realized I did not have as much understanding as I thought I did. Most schools look for a background in real analysis, at least an exposure to it. This crash course is designed to help with that part of your application package.

Best,
    Hulya Eraslan
    Hi Hkke,
    I looked into the syllabus of Math camp, but I don't understand how in one month course all those topics be covered. Also is there an option to take only a specific part of the entire course i.e. modules such as Real Analysis and Optimization Techniques. I feel that I have covered most of the courses at undergrad studies. Although the course may not be as intensive as offered at masters level. I also wanted to ask if there is any scholarship or partial waiver offered for the course, as it is very highly priced for international students.

Regards,
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information