Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRE score for grad school: submit or not?

Within my grasp!

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: GRE score for grad school: submit or not?

Sponsored Ad:
    Send the one that you got the higher Q in, though the AWA score will hurt you possibly. Also, 'watch' does not know what he's talking about in terms of your math preparation. I would ignore his advice.

Depending on what rank your school is and what your letters say, you aren't doing too badly. I would apply broadly across top 30.

Eager!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Lol, what are some people ITT talking about? Not enough math? LOOOL. What else should he take for MA Econ?

OP I am also applying to grad school, so other people opinions might worth more -- my advice would be submit the high Quant GRE one if a significant number of applicants in the programs you are applying to, submit GRE scores. Otherwise submit none of them (especially if you are native speaker).

Btw the difference from 161 to 167 is nothing -- could be one night of bad sleep, or an argument with your girlfriend -- many people have similarly distant numbers on distinct attempts

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    Send the one that you got the higher Q in, though the AWA score will hurt you possibly. Also, 'watch' does not know what he's talking about in terms of your math preparation. I would ignore his advice.

Depending on what rank your school is and what your letters say, you aren't doing too badly. I would apply broadly across top 30.
    I never told him what maths he should take. It is a fact however that 1 quarter of real analysis and 1 quarter of modern algebra (in progress too) is not going to make anyone think "yeah this person is excellent at math". I'm sorry - it's just the truth, this isn't much math. The other classes including that intro number theory course aren't part of the core pure math curriculum (an upper level number theory series, like combinatorics would be a different story).

Again I never told him any advice about his Econ except that a 161Q would be very bad to send over 167Q which doesn't require any expertise to know. I also urged him to take advice from others in the forum and not take my word for anything, and even told him that I'm only an undergraduate.

Seriously, how about you read the posts of the people you berate? If you think he has taken a lot of math then you need to stop giving out math advice because you have no clue what you're talking about.

Within my grasp!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Never gave him math advice specifically. Never said he has "a lot of math." No idea what you are talking about. I also wasn't berating you, but it's true that you have little idea of what you're talking about. I've been through the admissions process two years ago and I know through my classmates what admissions looks for.

relax and stop being so whiny.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by kicpatl17 View Post
    Lol, what are some people ITT talking about? Not enough math? LOOOL. What else should he take for MA Econ?

OP I am also applying to grad school, so other people opinions might worth more -- my advice would be submit the high Quant GRE one if a significant number of applicants in the programs you are applying to, submit GRE scores. Otherwise submit none of them (especially if you are native speaker).

Btw the difference from 161 to 167 is nothing -- could be one night of bad sleep, or an argument with your girlfriend -- many people have similarly distant numbers on distinct attempts
    This is very important, and I speak from personal experience. Tabulate the number of questions separating quant scores on the higher-end, and you'll find that it's very few. Random variation and how you test itself can significantly impact your score. If you take the test again (or another time), you'll eventually converge on the score you need (given you have a similar math background as OP).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information