Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Only got a B in Grad Micro Theory 1

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Only got a B in Grad Micro Theory 1

Sponsored Ad:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will not take Micro 2 next semester.
    Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    That may be, but as you've said one of your professors recommended getting at least an A-. If your applications are already in, there isn't any point in fretting about this. If they are not, you may want one of your letter writers to state that a B is an average grade. You should probably not take another grad micro course until you are in a position to excel at it.

Within my grasp!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Unfortunately there is not much that you can do. Here is the real problem. You never have the time or resources that you need in graduate school, so your grade probably reflects your classroom ability. The good news is that you survived. A lot of people can't even say that.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

So will this B be slightly/strongly negative or neutral to my admission?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    Unfortunately there is not much that you can do. Here is the real problem. You never have the time or resources that you need in graduate school, so your grade probably reflects your classroom ability. The good news is that you survived. A lot of people can't even say that.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I think it'll discount heavily if you're applying to schools of similar or higher tier. Schools at a lower tier would still consider you as a serious candidate, depending on how well you've done in other parts of your application. Or at least, this appears to be the opinion of professors I've talked to at my institution, and some anecdotal evidence from our school seems to support this notion.

Within my grasp!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
    So will this B be slightly/strongly negative or neutral to my admission?
    It is going to hurt you. You barely survived one graduate course. What is going to happen when you face 4 of them? It is an unfair assessment but that is life.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mathenomics View Post
    Ah, I see. So would I be right in thinking that the concern isn’t necessarily about whether one could “handle” the material, but rather it being a signal about whether he/she has good research ability beyond just “handling” the material?
    Pretty much. Being towards the bottom end of any PhD cohort, regardless of the school's rank, does not bode well for a research career.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Let's say I will take Grad Micro 2. What if I will get an A in Grad Micro 2. Will this help me in the future application?
    Quote Originally Posted by mathenomics View Post
    I think it'll discount heavily if you're applying to schools of similar or higher tier. Schools at a lower tier would still consider you as a serious candidate, depending on how well you've done in other parts of your application. Or at least, this appears to be the opinion of professors I've talked to at my institution, and some anecdotal evidence from our school seems to support this notion.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, getting an A in Grad Micro 2 will help you. (Getting another B will obviously hurt you.) Getting a high enough A that you can ask the instructor for a letter of recommendation will help even more.

There is also another side to this. If you take Grad Micro 2 and only do so-so, then (depending on what you think your grad school interests might be) you might rethink whether you want to go on to the econ PhD.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your reply. I will think about Grad Micro 2 serious and try my best!
    Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Yes, getting an A in Grad Micro 2 will help you. (Getting another B will obviously hurt you.) Getting a high enough A that you can ask the instructor for a letter of recommendation will help even more.

There is also another side to this. If you take Grad Micro 2 and only do so-so, then (depending on what you think your grad school interests might be) you might rethink whether you want to go on to the econ PhD.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Getting a B at some programs is less concerning than others. I've encountered a program that conditioned financial aid on first-year grades (like OP mentioned for his), and the 1st year grad students worked 80-100 hours per week on review and problem sets.

I've also encountered a program where all the 1st year grad students were told not to spend more than 50% of their time on 1st year courses and were doing research with the rest of it.

At least one of your letter writers from the econ department, assuming they're competent, will mention something to put into context the extent of the difficulty/workload of your grad classes.

I agree that getting a better grade in Micro II would look better in any case, but this may be hard and not worthwhile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information