Urch Forums

2017 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My status for osu is still pending. I am worried about a delay in review of my application, as my application status was 'incomplete' until mid December because my transcripts were not linked to my application, despite sending them in early on

Are the number of applications to Econ PhD programs falling? I'm extrapolating from these datasets on program statistics and the lack of activity on this forum:

- https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/economics-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

- https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/academic_information/program_statistics/doctoral/program.php?id=Economics

- http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/E05PH_adm_enr.pdf

There seems to be a trend downwards, and I wonder if the combination of the tightening job market, the growing popularity of CS, and the emergence of data analysis as an alternative career for data-savvy RAs is contributing to the decline.

I think they are declining slightly relative to the 2008-2012 period. It's more the case that those years were "bumper." Active users of this site (people who comment and start threads) have fallen but traffic is still high. There is such a wealth of information in old threads that new ones don't get started on the same topics. In turn, fewer people become actively engaged, which is a shame.

Does anyone have a guess when we might hear about LSE's EME and/or economics MSc programs?

They have rolling admissions so how quickly you hear back from them depends on when you applied. They typically get back within a month or a month half, from the date your application package is complete.

My fall semester grades won't be available until sometime next week. Do you think schools will still look at them? I took PhD micro and real analysis in fall semester so I really wanted to show them.

If the grades are good, send them to the graduate secretary and the director of graduate studies. Be very very polite. Simply say you are very interested in attending the PhD program at [school Name] and want to share an updated transcript with excellent fall semester grades in real analysis and grad micro 1.

If the grades are good, send them to the graduate secretary and the director of graduate studies. Be very very polite. Simply say you are very interested in attending the PhD program at [school Name] and want to share an updated transcript with excellent fall semester grades in real analysis and grad micro 1.

Thanks for the advice. The grades are good and I think they will help my applications.