Urch Forums

Quality of my profile for Phd (and Canadian/UK Masters)

CarlosCostanza

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Math & Economics, at a top 30 private US university ( Top 15 Math and Econ)

Undergrad GPA: 3.75 (3.7 Econ, 3.6 Math)

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: n/a

Math Courses: Calculus I-III(A,A,B+), Linear Algebra (A), ODE (A-), Theory of Probability (A), Honors Real Analysis (B), Honors Real Analysis II (IP), Mathematical Statistics (IP)

Econ Courses (grad-level): (will try to take some in my last year)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro micro and macro (placed out), Intermediate Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A), Econometrics I (A-), Econometrics II (A-), Econometrics III (A-), Financial Economics (A-)

Other Courses:B+ in Computer Science

Letters of Recommendation: There are two professors that I have a good relationship with and could pursue RAship with. Both are well known economists.

Research Experience: Will be doing a Regional Fed summer research internship

Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Political Economy, Econometrics

Applying to: (Amongst the top) NYU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Stanford, Chicago, UofToronto(Masters), UBC(Masters), Western Ontario, LSE(Masters), Oxford(Masters)

I had a few speed bumps to put it lightly this semester. I worked exceptionally hard on my honors analysis course. It was extremely difficult and while I performed well in the midterm (getting an A) I did worse than the class average in the final. I am not sure of my actual failings but I presume that I can get a copy of my test graded before Analysis II to work out the kinks. I don't believe that B is an accurate testament to my abilities. But hopefully I can showcase that in the second course in the sequence.

However, looking at the my profile and taking into consideration that I might take graduate micro next year (only if I get an A in analysis II) and still have lots of math and economics to take are any of the schools within reach. I already know that NYU, Stanford, Chicago are out of the picture as they are difficult for everyone.

edit:

I am a junior and previously was a business major before a change.

Edited by CarlosCostanza

• 4 months later...

Bumping with more detail

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Math & Economics, at a top 30 private US university ( Top 15 Math and Econ)

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 (3.7 Econ, 3.7 Math)

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: n/a

Math Courses: Calculus I, II, III(A,A,B+), Linear Algebra (A), ODE (A-), Theory of Probability (A), Honors Real Analysis (B), Honors Real Analysis II (?? B+), Mathematical Statistics (A), Honors Fourier Analysis (Fall)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro micro and macro (placed out), Intermediate Macro (Rigorous Track) (A), Intermediate Micro (Rigorous Track) (A), Econometrics I (A-), Econometrics II (A-), Econometrics III (A-), Financial Economics (A-) , Advanced Micro Theory (A-), Game Theory (Rigorous Track) (Fall)

Other Courses:B+ in Computer Science

Letters of Recommendation: One from a professor who is very well known and with whom I have a good relationship. One likely from my summer internship. A third I am unsure about but will be from one of my previous economics professors forsure. The quality of info from the last will be limited.

Research Experience: Will be doing a Regional Fed summer research internship

Research Interests: Applied Microeconomics, Political Economy, Econometrics

Applying to:

Reach: Northwestern, UCLA, Columbia, UCSD, U Wisconsin

Matching: U Rochester, U Washington-Seattle, UC Davis, UT Austin, USC

Safety: UC Irvine, Co Boulder, UCSB

Masters: UofT (Doctoral), Oxford MPhil Economics

FIrst I made a switch to economics somewhat late. Rushed in math prep and had difficult semesters to graduate on time (my last year won't be so bad though). That's why I have some masters listed.

I am unsure about the range to apply to. I attend a very well known institution. Highly ranked in economics and math with respect to their graduate education. But I received mediocre to good grades. In my statement of purpose I can explain some and I can articulate the research questions that I am interested in very well (with more specificity than just listing three fields).

If one can recommend specific range to apply to or master's programs to consider that would be appreciated.