Urch Forums

Contact from PhD co-ordinator

ForumWhiner

Hi Urchins,

I was contacted by a PhD program coordinator (from one of my dream schools) asking for grade explanation on my transcripts. My transcript doesn't explain the grades (UK postgraduate degree) and hence I am wondering how to respond to his/her email. Should I find information online (WES etc.) to see how to convert it myself or just respond saying it is not available?

I would like to take your opinion and respond appropriately so please offer your thoughts!

Thank you very much.

P.S. Does the reception of email signal anything positive/negative about my application? I apologise if this question is stupid- that's just the usual post-application anxiety talking! I would regardless like to know what you think ;)

It's probably a relatively good sign if they are asking for more information. I imagine your university has some guidance for degree standards somewhere online? Typically UK and Irish universities divide degrees into first and second class honors (so called 1:1 and 2:1). There are lower degree classifications but you won't get into grad school unless your grades fall into one of those two categories.

The requirements for a first class honors degree involve grades that are, as a weighted average based on credit hours per course, above 70. Your university should spell out its system somewhere online or something should be available from the registrar's office to help you.

Thank you for the response. That was helpful!

It's probably a relatively good sign if they are asking for more information. I imagine your university has some guidance for degree standards somewhere online? Typically UK and Irish universities divide degrees into first and second class honors (so called 1:1 and 2:1). There are lower degree classifications but you won't get into grad school unless your grades fall into one of those two categories.

The requirements for a first class honors degree involve grades that are, as a weighted average based on credit hours per course, above 70. Your university should spell out its system somewhere online or something should be available from the registrar's office to help you.

Communication is always a good thing, even when it sounds negative.

Be pleasant when you respond to them. Explain the grades and provide any necessary conversions so that they do not have to do it themselves.Make sure to cite any online resources that explain the grades and even provide a contact person, as tm_member, suggested above. Responding this way shows that you are professional and thorough. Academics love people that are thorough, and that do work for them ;)