Urch Forums

Effect of application deadlines?

startz

In my case (a few years ago), yes. I expected to receive my fall semester grades in mid Dec. So I ignored a few programs with Dec 1-14 deadlines so I can maintain some flexibility on calibrating my range after knowing my grades.

Of course, if most people follow my strategy, then it might actually be better to apply to early-deadline programs for the lack of competition, but my understanding of game theory wasn't very good as an undergrad.

The application deadlines made an immense difference for me. In my case, and probably many other 4th year seniors, it was imperative to have my fall semester grades in so that I could make my application more appealing. Additionally, having a deadline after the winter break provides applicants the opportunity to study 2-3 weeks for the GRE (Which is a godsend for applicants who did research over the summer and took a rigorous course load in the fall).

So given the above, I only applied to schools with a Jan 15 deadline.

Honestly though, I find it strange that more grad programs don't require applicants to submit their application when their spring semester grades are in. Logically speaking, wouldn't the Adcom lessen the degree of asymmetric Information if this were the case?

Or perhaps my question is naive and I'm failing to account for the intricacies present in the application process.