Urch Forums

Recruitment for pre-doctoral RA roles (economics)

sardegna2016

Hey guys,

any of you has experience applying for (economics) RA roles at universities/research institutes and can comment on their recruitment process? How slow/fast is it? How soon after a first screening interview do applicants hear back?

I have applied for several roles so far - heard back only from one place, I then had a pretty good phone interview (interviewer reacted interested in what I had to say and asked loads of follow up questions). It's been a week now since that happened yet no news. I know they are probably screening more people but how much is too much in terms of waiting time when it comes to research roles? Is it time to write it off and move on? I REALLY want this job. Help me understand what's going on...

thanks!

depends. If you waited three weeks, sent them a follow up e-mail, and still didn't get a reply, I think you can implicitly assume that you didn't make it to the next round (unless they gave you a certain time frame of making their decisions). For the first round (the resume/transcript screening stage), I think it's pretty common to not hear back at all if you didn't make it, since there would be just too many people to reach out to.

hey guys - to those of you who have some experience dealing with this - i have received an email from the hiring manager who interviewed me for the research associate role saying that they are still processing things and I should hear back as soon as possible.

My question - is it okay to reply to this maybe expressing my interest in the position once again? Would that sound too desperate? Would you advise against it? Please help!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I wanted to ask for advice regarding the pre-doctoral role and didn't think a new thread would contribute too much. So here's my question:

I have been encouraged to apply to a strong pre-doctoral program by someone connected to it. I'm graduating from undergrad this year and have strong research experience and coursework- thus my CV is competitive (as attested by someone in the program). Yet, due to personal reasons, my GPA in the first two years is pretty low, while in the last 2 years is 3.9. I'm applying for masters programs in order to reduce the noise in my application, so ideally I would apply to this program after completing my masters, but the fact that I'm being recommended makes applying now potentially better.

My question is, how do I talk about my low initial GPA? Should I be candid and address the personal circumstances (which I don't really like discussing) or just mention that I've worked hard to make up for a lower initial GPA? How much does GPA matter for these types of roles?

Slightly time-sensitive, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!