Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 ARE Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 ARE Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    One question: "How would you rank the ARE programs among one another?"

I was never sure how to rank the ARE programs. Although it seems that everyone agrees that UC Berkeley's ARE program is perhaps the most highly regarded of all ARE programs, I was not sure how the other programs stack against one another. Seems that the next contenders are U of Maryland AREC and UC Davis ARE?

I can see that this can be quite difficult, as there are various subfields that are dealt in the ARE programs, but my main scope of interest is in Development!

Good post? Yes | No

Hi all,

I am applying to PhDs in Applied/Agricultural Economics as well as Public Policy schools. So far, I am in 2 ag econs well as a couple policy programs.

I am also curious as to the rankings of the ARE programs? What about versus policy programs?
    Last edited by clairelb; 02-22-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Less specific and clearer question.

Good post? Yes | No

In an unrelated topic, Maryland AREC is seemingly confirming rejections now?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YangmaL View Post
    One question: "How would you rank the ARE programs among one another?"

I was never sure how to rank the ARE programs. Although it seems that everyone agrees that UC Berkeley's ARE program is perhaps the most highly regarded of all ARE programs, I was not sure how the other programs stack against one another. Seems that the next contenders are U of Maryland AREC and UC Davis ARE?

I can see that this can be quite difficult, as there are various subfields that are dealt in the ARE programs, but my main scope of interest is in Development!
    I think if you really wanted a straight forward comparison of ranking between pure econ and ag econ (which I don't find it to be very helpful) I would say look at their ranking among other ag econs and also compare their placements with that of pure econ programs. Like I said earlier, Berkeley is often seen as the top dog in ag econ and I would place them as a top 30 relative to pure econ programs. Just my 2 cents...

Good post? Yes | No

How would you rank Ohio State's AED program compared to other ARE departments?

Good post? Yes | No

Hey if anyone is attending UC Davis' open house, can they let me know how it goes and their thoughts and impressions on the school and program? I can't make the trip to come see it but really wish I could have!

Good post? Yes | No

Well, I guess it's about now when the congestion on the Admissions market starts to dissipate (albeit, slowly). I am pretty sure that Davis ARE and Cornell AEM held their visit days by now, not so sure about Berkeley and Maryland though. Any ideas on where you will be headed for this Fall?

Personally, I am still waiting on some of the results to come out, as I am waitlisted for some programs (ARE and Pure Econ). Also thinking about going for a Master's degree first (Statistics / Econ).

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YangmaL View Post
    Well, I guess it's about now when the congestion on the Admissions market starts to dissipate (albeit, slowly). I am pretty sure that Davis ARE and Cornell AEM held their visit days by now, not so sure about Berkeley and Maryland though. Any ideas on where you will be headed for this Fall?

Personally, I am still waiting on some of the results to come out, as I am waitlisted for some programs (ARE and Pure Econ). Also thinking about going for a Master's degree first (Statistics / Econ).
    Berkeley was a couple of weeks ago. I know for that a friend will decline.

Good post? Yes | No

hey!! ill be doing something similar on 2018! what schools/programs are you considering

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information