Urch Forums

2017 ARE Thread

YangmaL

Noticed that nobody started a thread for Agricultural and Resource Economics results. To my knowledge, UC Berkeley ARE, Cornell AEM, U of Maryland AREC, OSU AED, UIUC ACE have announced (at least partially) their results. I guess that now is as great a time as any to start off.

Noticed that nobody started a thread for Agricultural and Resource Economics results. To my knowledge, UC Berkeley ARE, Cornell AEM, U of Maryland AREC, OSU AED, UIUC ACE have announced (at least partially) their results. I guess that now is as great a time as any to start off.

A thread to talk about acceptances or a thread to talk about ARE in general? I'm accepted to Davis, and trying to decide between Davis and pure Econ for Development/Environmental.

Oh, I intended to share results and bounce ideas off each other for making final decisions. But I guess it's a bit early to discuss final decisions for enrollment, as the admissions process is still very much ongoing. Trying to figure out whether I should go for a pure Econ program for Development. Edited by YangmaL

Hey! I am in the same boat as far as deciding between OSU AED and pure economics. OSU is the only AED/ARE school that I applied to. I want to do environmental/climate change/energy economics which is typically more often housed in the pure Econ departments. How are you deciding how to rank ARE programs with pure econ programs?

How are you deciding how to rank ARE programs with pure econ programs?

To be honest, I'm not really sure as of now. Especially since I don't have my full set of offers yet. I'm guessing that I'll have a better idea after(and if) I get invited to the open house events. I rememer stumbling onto a post that said that Berkeley can be ranked along the top 10 Econ programs, the next top three (or two) can be matched with the top 20 Econ programs, and so on. Not so sure about the comment yet.

The only ARE program that I applied to was UMD's and I've been accepted with full funding. Like all of you, I find it very hard to compare an ARE program with a pure econ one. I don't think that there is a good way to convert a ranking from a pure econ dept. and compare it directly with that of an ARE program. Mainly, I think it just depends on what it is that you want to do with a PhD. Somethings that I'm currently considering are:

1.) Funding...duh

2.) Are there faculty members of particular interest, relative to other pure econ programs?

3.) What are my desired areas of focus? Do I want to be more applied oriented or theory focused, maybe I want both? Does the ARE dept. have a strong foundation in theory?

4.) Are there any "walls" between the ARE dept. and the pure econ dept. at UMD? Can I take econ courses offered by the econ dept?

5.) What are their placements like?

6.) How many opportunities are there for students to work directly with faculty in research endeavors?

7.) How much of the faculty rely on research grants from government institutions? This is of particular interest because, in light of our new administration, research grant dollars that go towards environmentally related topics might get slashed significantly. And if that happens, say goodbye to a lot of opportunities to work with faculty...or getting funding to attend conferences.

So far, UMD's ARE dept. is appealing in many of the areas listed but there are other things that are TBD at this point. I plan on doing more investigating when I attend their Visit Day. If anyone wants to add to this list please feel free! Best of luck to you all!

The sentence about what you want out of it is key. If you want to be at a large research university in a pure econ dept. then ARE might not be the way to go. Otherwise, for teaching at liberal arts/state schools/ag econ depts. or industry it could work out just fine. Everything I said is completely anecdotal coming from someone who has just perused placement websites for a lot of departments. Edited by jklimek

How would you guys rank Berkeley ARE compared to an Econ program?

I am also somehow confused about the possibility to survive (living on my own, no roomates) in the bay area with the very low UC fundings. Any thoughts?

Do they guarantee student housing? I applied to some UC schools (pure econ though), and some of them guarantee student housing for graduate students. I'd probably go into some debt though depending on summer situation for working.

How would you guys rank Berkeley ARE compared to an Econ program?

From previous conversations with a Berkeley ARE Alum, it seems that they have an outstanding ARE department that allows you to take courses from a host of other departments, including the econ dept. Many of those who graduate with an ARE phd from Berkeley are considered economists through and through. At least that is what I have been told. If you look at their placement record and focus only on those who place into economics departments at a university, it is pretty similar to that of a top 30 or 40 pure econ program.

One question: "How would you rank the ARE programs among one another?"

I was never sure how to rank the ARE programs. Although it seems that everyone agrees that UC Berkeley's ARE program is perhaps the most highly regarded of all ARE programs, I was not sure how the other programs stack against one another. Seems that the next contenders are U of Maryland AREC and UC Davis ARE?

I can see that this can be quite difficult, as there are various subfields that are dealt in the ARE programs, but my main scope of interest is in Development!

Hi all,

I am applying to PhDs in Applied/Agricultural Economics as well as Public Policy schools. So far, I am in 2 ag econs well as a couple policy programs.

I am also curious as to the rankings of the ARE programs? What about versus policy programs?

Edited by clairelb
Less specific and clearer question.

One question: "How would you rank the ARE programs among one another?"

I was never sure how to rank the ARE programs. Although it seems that everyone agrees that UC Berkeley's ARE program is perhaps the most highly regarded of all ARE programs, I was not sure how the other programs stack against one another. Seems that the next contenders are U of Maryland AREC and UC Davis ARE?

I can see that this can be quite difficult, as there are various subfields that are dealt in the ARE programs, but my main scope of interest is in Development!

I think if you really wanted a straight forward comparison of ranking between pure econ and ag econ (which I don't find it to be very helpful) I would say look at their ranking among other ag econs and also compare their placements with that of pure econ programs. Like I said earlier, Berkeley is often seen as the top dog in ag econ and I would place them as a top 30 relative to pure econ programs. Just my 2 cents...

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess it's about now when the congestion on the Admissions market starts to dissipate (albeit, slowly). I am pretty sure that Davis ARE and Cornell AEM held their visit days by now, not so sure about Berkeley and Maryland though. Any ideas on where you will be headed for this Fall?

Personally, I am still waiting on some of the results to come out, as I am waitlisted for some programs (ARE and Pure Econ). Also thinking about going for a Master's degree first (Statistics / Econ).

Well, I guess it's about now when the congestion on the Admissions market starts to dissipate (albeit, slowly). I am pretty sure that Davis ARE and Cornell AEM held their visit days by now, not so sure about Berkeley and Maryland though. Any ideas on where you will be headed for this Fall?

Personally, I am still waiting on some of the results to come out, as I am waitlisted for some programs (ARE and Pure Econ). Also thinking about going for a Master's degree first (Statistics / Econ).

Berkeley was a couple of weeks ago. I know for that a friend will decline.

• 6 months later...