Urch Forums

BGSE vs Tilburg vs Maastricht

enginecons

Dear Urchins,

I would like to pick your brains for some advice regarding which masters to enroll in - I've been accepted to Barcelona GSE's MSc, Tilburg's MPhil and Maastricht's MSc. I might continue to do a PhD (not 100% sure as of now, since I might find that I'm not suited for econ academia (my Bachelor's degree was in engineering)), and for that reason, as well as other reasons, I'm a bit more inclined towards BGSE because of it's better placements.

The thing is, my interest lies in the field of decision/game theory and behavioural econ, but it seems like BGSE's focus is on macro? On the other hand, Maastricht and Tilburg are both pretty strong in the fields of my interest. Would BSGE's focus on macro be important in the master's course? Would it still be possible to get good training in game theory/behavioral econ + possibly land an RA gig in these fields after the course at BGSE?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

The strong field at bgse is macro and the macro guys are excellent as well as metrics guys. You will get good training in game theory and behavioral so don't worry about that. Tilburg is very good at micro but the overall reputation of bgse is higher. I have also been accepted at bgse (i am a macro guy) and i think that it is better in terms of training and reputation than the other unis you mentioned

I don't think it matters that BGSE's focus is macro since there's quite a lot of people doing behavioural as well as game theory. I think it strictly dominates Maastricht and Tillburg in terms of reputation. From what I have heard, however, it can be pretty competitive. What you should think about though is how you might rank amongst your classmates at these places. I don't think being in the bottom half of the class at BGSE would be too impressive. Regardless, BGSE is a great school and I think personally I'd pick BGSE.

The truth is that the competition is pretty hard at bgse and if you want to succeed and progress to their phd or another decent phd you need to study a lot and place yourself at the top of the class. It is not out of reach but it's difficult. Try to prepare yourself as better as you can before coming at bgse (in case you decide to attend bgse)