Urch Forums

EME at LSE - info request

Kazakh

Hello everyone,

Surprisingly, I was accepted to Master in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics (EME) at LSE last evening. Could anyone comment on the quality of this program, both in terms of teaching and academic/industry placement? I know a little bit about it, but that info is largely based on the times when it was a 2-year program. And, assuming there is no funding issue, would you accept this offer or the offer from Duke MA (2-year program)? Thanks a lot!

Guys, please I really need your input regarding the program! Is it really as brutal as it is rumored to be? Is is really the case that the majority of students at EME are all math, engineering, physics, computer science majors? I just do not want to be left with nothing under my belt in the end except for a ton of suffering. I am an undergrad econ major from an unknown Asian university (not Chinese) with a minor in math, and I just fear so much that I am not ready for this experience.

It ultimately depends on how well you think you can perform in the programme. The programme is brutal, and in order to get distinctions, it'll mean you will have to be working almost non-stop for the whole 9 months, since that's the kind of people that you will be competing against. Don't be fooled into thinking that it's going to be easy, seeing as to how you only need 70 marks for an A.

What kind of math prep do you have?

The challenging course in the programme is the Econometrics sequence. Since they use Wooldridge in their pre-sessional prep, it's safe to assume that you'll be dealing with material on the level fo Hayashi. As for the micro and macro sequence, you're essentially doing first-year PhD equivalents, judging from the readings.

From what I have heard the EME at LSE is very rigorous and pretty challenging. But I remember reading in some old posts that (if you were specifically worried about grades) you could pick easier modules and inflate your grades so to speak. Don't know how credible this info is though. But the EME is a really good programme and I think as long as you manage to do reasonably well (even if you don't get a distinction), it would still be better than the MA at Duke. Just in terms of overall reputation the EME is leagues ahead of the Duke MA.

Hope this is helpful.

tutonic, thank you very much for your response! I completed Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Real Analysis I and Stochastic Processes (all A's, no grad courses). I also took a grad course named Empirical Industrial Organization where the econometrics material was largely drawn from Hayashi (got A there). As for how I rate my chances of doing well at EME, I still feel I got very lucky to have been offered a place there since I do not deserve it (not perfect GRE, unknown university,recommendations from not very well-known faculty, limited research experience, not many places offered by LSE at this program etc.). I am not a mathematical genius and do not really love math, but quite competent and ready to learn new things despite any difficulties. It is safe to say that I am just a very hard-working student (Chinese-light if you want).

pocketecon, I also have offers from Bocconi, Barcelona GSE, Stockholm, Duke (25 % tuition waiver), Wisconsin, Texas (55 % tuition waiver, 10-month program). I am only waiting for Paris School of Economics, British Columbia and Toronto. Having read the post about LSE EME vs Oxford, I now regret that I did not submit the applicaton on time (just did not believe in myself).

tutonic, thank you very much for your response! I completed Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Real Analysis I and Stochastic Processes (all A's, no grad courses). I also took a grad course named Empirical Industrial Organization where the econometrics material was largely drawn from Hayashi (got A there). As for how I rate my chances of doing well at EME, I still feel I got very lucky to have been offered a place there since I do not deserve it (not perfect GRE, unknown university,recommendations from not very well-known faculty, limited research experience, not many places offered by LSE at this program etc.). I am not a mathematical genius and do not really love math, but quite competent and ready to learn new things despite any difficulties. It is safe to say that I am just a very hard-working student (Chinese-light if you want).

If you've dabbled with Hayashi before, then you shouldn't do too badly. As long as you're aware of your competition, and know the kind of effort required to do well, then it should be fine, I suppose.

With regards to grade inflation spoken of earlier, that doesn't work now, since it's only a 10 month programme, with 4 modules. You are only allowed 1 elective, taken alongside Advanced Econometrics, Micro and Macro.

@Kazakh - given your background and other offers, LSE EME is definitely the place to go I feel. I also have an offer from LSE EME, and would have opted for it as well had it not been for personal reasons (choosing Oxford MPhil). Have you had a look at the textbooks they have asked us to go through ? They have given a list in the offer email and it should give you an idea of what's in store.