Urch Forums

Need information about Research Master program in Tilburg

macroeconguy

Hi All,

I was accepted to the 2 year Research Master program in Tilburg University with tuition waiver but no scholarship. I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to get into a Top 30 US PhD program after completing the Research Master program?

2. Are professors willing to write letters if I decide to decline their PhD offer and go to some other university for my PhD?

3. My research interests are in Macroeconomics. I know tilburg is not very good in Macroeconomics. But they have set up new research centers in Macroeconomics which suits my interest. Any comments on this will be appreciated.

I have one other offer from University of Amsterdam's 1 year MSc Economics program (No scholarship or tuition waiver). I don't think this program will prepare me for PhD programs. Other than this, BGSE, UC3M, Bocconi have rejected me. Waiting for some more programs to respond.

I tried searching in this forum, but all the posts were very old(8-9 years old), so I need some current information about this university.

Thank you!

I was in a similar position a couple of years earlier and as far as I had inquired back then from the Tilburg students, it is possible to get a letter after your MPhil and move to top 20/30 schools in the US. But I was told that it is bit difficult and around 50% of the students eventually stay for their own PhD programs while only a few top candidates move to better schools. The ones who moved were possibly at the top of their class in terms of grades. I also got the impression that things keep changing with their research master program so better connect to the 'current' students and ask for opinions.

It will be difficult to get strong LOR's but not impossible. That's because they invest in you and they want to keep you there. However if your grades are good enough and show that you have potential i think that you have good chances of getting strong LOR's. Furthermore, it is true that macro is the weak field at Tilburg but consedering that you do not have an offer from better schools in this field (like BGSE) you should think about it. In which schools did you apply to?

In which schools did you apply to?

I have applied to BGSE, CEMFI, Bocconi, UC3M, University of Amsterdam, Tilburg University, Western Ontario, Tinbergen, Frankfurt GSEFM, CEU. I am in the process of applying to Bonn GSE and Mannheim. So far, Tilburg and Amsterdam have accepted me. BGSE, UC3M, Bocconi have rejected me. And, I haven't yet heard from rest of the universities.