Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the best masters programs for economics?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: What are the best masters programs for economics?

Sponsored Ad:
    In Europe,

PSE, LSE, Oxford, Boconni, CMEFI are big names. I can't speak for other schools although I am sure there are a few more in Europe that have good reputation depending on sub field of economics. LSE is a gigantic institution that supports every type of economcis fields. PSE specializes in many fields but they are popular for applied macroeconomics and public economics. Each year PSE's reputation is rising. Oxford is just a popular name. Boconni is strong with micro,macro theory. CMEFI is a small elite institution that supports individual students quite well. Their average placement record is probably the strongest in all Europe.
    If you are the very top student, then choose PSE or LSE. If you manage to stand out among these stellar grad students, then you will easily place at top schools, and by this I mean Harvard, MIT, Chicago, UC Berkely and so on.
    If you are a decent student, then Oxford or CMEFI. Their average placements are really decent. I just simply don't know if these schools have top researchers today.
    If you like theory in general, then Boconni.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    There have been posts on this forum to the effect of saying that Columbia's masters programs are just money-makers for unknowing Chinese students who see "Columbia" and press buy. If I am remembering this correctly, then it is the case that Columbia comes out with a new masters degree every few years.

I could be wrong, but in case none of the elders of the forum come to this thread, I wanted to throw this out there.
    I agree that many Master's programs at Columbia generally are perceived by many as more of a revenue source for the university (specially from international students who heavily make up these programs), but I think that's a bit unfair to say particularly of the Econ program, which is ​after all housed within a top 10 PhD department. Also to kingofloss6's point, while this is purely anecdotal, throughout a couple of visit days at top 15 and even top 5 programs I saw quite a few people who were currently in the Master's program at Columbia so at least for now it seems to be placing people well (or at the very least not preventing very good placements that would have happened on the strengths of the rest of the candidates' backgrounds) from among those who actually want a PhD program placement.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

funding opportunities: definitely Duke and Tufts. They often give tuition waiver.

JB1

Good post? Yes | No

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but what's the general consensus on how competitive top US Masters Econ programs are compared to Phds ranked, say 25-50, or 50-75? Particularly for someone considering a Masters to bolster apps to Phds. Tufts, Duke, BU, Madison were mentioned on here.

I would imagine masters applicants generally have something lacking on their profile if they intend to eventually apply to Phds. Assuming a strong math background/GREs, then perhaps a low ranked undergrad, weak letters, no research experience, etc? Do these top masters programs consider such applicants? Do they discriminate on whether applicants intend to apply to Phds or work after?

JB1

Good post? Yes | No

bump.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dregon03 View Post
    In Europe,

PSE, LSE, Oxford, Boconni, CMEFI are big names.
    How about UCL?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel404 View Post
    How about UCL?
    How about UPF?

If you are a macro person, UPF should be considered a top choice for a master's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information