Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best masters programs for economics?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

What are the best masters programs for economics?

Sponsored Ad:
    In terms of preparation for a PhD, methodological training, funding opportunities? (I.e. programs that aren't cash grabs)

Trying to make mom and pop proud EasternLance's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: What are the best masters programs for economics?

Alright so I'm sure other people are more qualified to answer this question...... but since no one is doing so, despite it having nearly 250 views, I thought I'd give it a go.

Canadian MA programs - Cheap(ish), High quality, Good placement (especially into other Canadian schools), decent funding available

*It's a lot easier to get into these programs if you're a Canadian citizen

UofT, UBC, Queens and Western are the big four. Western offers a PhD steam but in general every program listed will allow students to take PhD core classes if they're deemed qualified. I personally elected to attend UofT because it's easier to find a private sector job given the location. If you want a government job then Queens is definitely the place to go. More information can be found on Urch about these programs, just know that a strong performance in any of these universities will send a great signal to adcoms - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 20 W/funding.

McGill, McMasters, SFU, Other? are outside of the top 4 but they're still good programs nonetheless. Personally I find that SFU is very generous with their funding and honestly places pretty well in Canada. The MA programs offered at these school seems to be great ROI wise but may fall a little flat in terms of adcom signaling - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 50 W/funding

American MA programs
    - Expensive, Can be high quality, More terminal in nature, funding is suspect

My knowledge is somewhat limited on these but from what I do know it seems like Duke is a top choice (I mean the average Q score here is 169). If you got tens of thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket and the mental fortitude to handle the program then Duke is a great choice - As evident by their placements. - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 15

Other American programs can be good but it'll depend on your field of study, for example Yale apparently has an excellent MA program for international development but that might not be your interest. Value wise, the University of Cincinnati has an MA program that is often overlooked as it places 70% of its grads in high paying jobs at great companies before they even graduate.

Oh and I guess Wisconsin has a good MA program but I got rejected there so we're not going to talk about that.

UK MA programs - Pretty good, maybe, I don't know

My knowledge on this matter is limited, and I limited I mean near nonexistent. Somebody help. Please.

But from what I do know, Cambridge offers a great program, The London School of Economics has a fantastic placement record and by all accounts a strong performance from these schools can get you into top 10 programs.

Anyway I hoped that helped. I was going to attempt to cover French MA programs but I figured "Does OP really seem like the type of guy who'd want to live in France?" and I came to the conclusion of no.

Best of luck man

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

What region(s) are you considering? Europe, North America, mars? I could probably give you some information on Canadian programs if you are interested.

Good post? Yes | No

Duke University

Integrating WRT Poke Ball

Good post? Yes | No

Take a look at Tufts University near Boston. The average funding package covers about half of tuition, but the top applicants can receive much more than that. Plus two of their better students this year received funded offers from Cornell and Maryland.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

What do you think about BU's econ master? Is it comparable to Duke's/Madison's econ master?
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternLance View Post
    Alright so I'm sure other people are more qualified to answer this question...... but since no one is doing so, despite it having nearly 250 views, I thought I'd give it a go.

Canadian MA programs - Cheap(ish), High quality, Good placement (especially into other Canadian schools), decent funding available

*It's a lot easier to get into these programs if you're a Canadian citizen

UofT, UBC, Queens and Western are the big four. Western offers a PhD steam but in general every program listed will allow students to take PhD core classes if they're deemed qualified. I personally elected to attend UofT because it's easier to find a private sector job given the location. If you want a government job then Queens is definitely the place to go. More information can be found on Urch about these programs, just know that a strong performance in any of these universities will send a great signal to adcoms - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 20 W/funding.

McGill, McMasters, SFU, Other? are outside of the top 4 but they're still good programs nonetheless. Personally I find that SFU is very generous with their funding and honestly places pretty well in Canada. The MA programs offered at these school seems to be great ROI wise but may fall a little flat in terms of adcom signaling - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 50 W/funding

American MA programs
    - Expensive, Can be high quality, More terminal in nature, funding is suspect

My knowledge is somewhat limited on these but from what I do know it seems like Duke is a top choice (I mean the average Q score here is 169). If you got tens of thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket and the mental fortitude to handle the program then Duke is a great choice - As evident by their placements. - Reasonable PhD expectation: Top 15

Other American programs can be good but it'll depend on your field of study, for example Yale apparently has an excellent MA program for international development but that might not be your interest. Value wise, the University of Cincinnati has an MA program that is often overlooked as it places 70% of its grads in high paying jobs at great companies before they even graduate.

Oh and I guess Wisconsin has a good MA program but I got rejected there so we're not going to talk about that.

UK MA programs - Pretty good, maybe, I don't know

My knowledge on this matter is limited, and I limited I mean near nonexistent. Somebody help. Please.

But from what I do know, Cambridge offers a great program, The London School of Economics has a fantastic placement record and by all accounts a strong performance from these schools can get you into top 10 programs.

Anyway I hoped that helped. I was going to attempt to cover French MA programs but I figured "Does OP really seem like the type of guy who'd want to live in France?" and I came to the conclusion of no.

Best of luck man

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Tufts vs BU. If BU significantly better than Tufts? For me, the only reason to go Tufts over BU is because of the funding packages. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Swauss View Post
    Take a look at Tufts University near Boston. The average funding package covers about half of tuition, but the top applicants can receive much more than that. Plus two of their better students this year received funded offers from Cornell and Maryland.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I think placement-wise, LSE's EME program is much better than all other programs.

For US programs, I think Columbia recently started an econ masters program. I don't think they' had many cohorts yet, so not sure what their placement looks like. But I'd suspect it to grow in reputation over the next couple of years?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

There have been posts on this forum to the effect of saying that Columbia's masters programs are just money-makers for unknowing Chinese students who see "Columbia" and press buy. If I am remembering this correctly, then it is the case that Columbia comes out with a new masters degree every few years.

I could be wrong, but in case none of the elders of the forum come to this thread, I wanted to throw this out there.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    There have been posts on this forum to the effect of saying that Columbia's masters programs are just money-makers for unknowing Chinese students who see "Columbia" and press buy. If I am remembering this correctly, then it is the case that Columbia comes out with a new masters degree every few years.

I could be wrong, but in case none of the elders of the forum come to this thread, I wanted to throw this out there.
    This might be true that Columbia has started a money-maker program, but it's still Columbia. Someone that is top of this program should have a chance to place at a top 20 program (much like BU, Tufts, Duke or NYU).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information