Urch Forums

Choosing MA programs: Duke, Tufts, Uwisconsin

matchdog

Hi, it is my first time posting a thread. I am now scheduled to graduate from my Undergrad this year, and I am planning to seek Phd degree in economics. Since I am an international student, I am searching for MA programs that may help me fully prepared and can get to the top 20 schools.

The list of the programs I've found very rigorous are (so far) - Duke, Tufts, University of Wisconsin, University of Toronto.

I wonder if a 1-year program would strengthen my application since I have only 3 month to apply for the Phd when I got matriculated into the university (such as U Toronto). I've already done some math coursework, and I think what I really need is a research experience and a strong recommendation letter.

Secondly, I am very curious about University of Wisconsin-Madison, since it launched the program recently, and I have limited information (such as class size)

I would very appreciate any information regarding those schools I've mentioned, or even other schools that you recommend.

Thank you!

Edited by matchdog
For the questions to be broader

Duke is the best program here, but I know someone that went to Tufts that got placed at a top 20 program.

You can also have the option of stretching out your one-year program into a one and a half year program depending on the school, which can help you with those PHD applications.

I think your choice should be between U wisconsin and Duke. In general fields of economics, I would say Uwisconsin has a better reputation.

If you are Canadian, then U of T should be fine too since Canadians get good advantage of applying for government funding at both national and international levels.

Good luck!

For one-year program, you will have a hard time getting recommendation letters. Duke offers two-year program and allows you to actually get some good/strong recommendation letters.

Tufts also gives the option of a two year program..

https://ase.tufts.edu/economics/grad/master.htm

I'd look into the Research track if I were you as it includes the option of a master's thesis!

Do you know the placement for Tuft's program? From what I learned, Duke places quite a few into top 20 this year.

Every year Duke MA also produces at least one student for top 10 econ PhD programs, and quite a few get accepted at top business and public policy PhD programs. Duke MA is very good.

Tufts had one student going to Cornell and another to Maryland in this year's applicants, but for econ PhD's. Possibly more, but I think those are the top admits.

I've talked to my recommender and he says that they have even placed the odd one in a top five program once every couple of years. I also know someone (a pretty big professor nowadays located in a top 20 school) who went to the Tufts MA program a while back.

Even though I don't have complete information about Duke and Tufts, I would assume Duke has better placements. Duke places more masters into top 20 phd program than Tufts. Same logic goes for top 10 or top 30.

Tufts is a much smaller program than Duke's program, so I'd assume that is the case for placements. If you need a working paper or a thesis, then the Tufts one might be better.

One of my recommenders is at the Tufts department: He informs me that people have placed in top 10-30 programs that have went to Tufts.

I know there's not many students who go for a Phd(bc the cohort itself is small) but I really want to know the placement for this/last year. There is so limited information about the school......

Edited by matchdog

I don't know exactly, but it really depends on how strong your profile is. If you enter in the program with a decent program and make it to the top of the class and get top of the notch recommendations from there, I can't see why you can't enter a top 10-30 program. But if you entered in Tufts with a mediocre profile and don't do well, then well your chances are not good for a top 30 program.