Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Profiles and Results 2017

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Profiles and Results 2017

Sponsored Ad:
    I suggest that you should post in this thread only after you have received all or most of your offers. Also, please mention how accurate or inaccurate the predictions were if you had a profile assessment commented on by the forum members.

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses:
    Econ Courses:
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests:
    SOP:
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Waitlists:
    Rejections:
    Pending:
    Attending:
    Comments:

What would you have done differently?

How accurate were others' predictions of your range of admissions?
    Last edited by tm_member; 04-14-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profiles and Results 2017

After so many years of lurking, it seems only fair to finally fill this out.

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top-50-ish private school
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    NA
    Grad GPA:
    NA
    GRE:
    167Q/165R/5.5W
    Math Courses:
    Three semesters of calculus (A,A,A) linear algebra (A), ODE (A-), Intro to Proofs (A), Real Analysis (A), Graph Theory (A), plus many statistics classes (all A)
    Econ Courses:
    Principles of Micro/Macro (A, A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A,A), Financial Econ (A), Law and Econ (A), Int' Trade (A), Game Theory (A), Labor (A), Econometrics (A), Proseminar (A)
    Other Courses:
    Three economists I RA'ed for.
    Research Experience:
    Two years as a full-time RA in macro
    Teaching Experience:
    Some tutoring in undergrad, not much.
    Research Interests:
    Macro
    SOP:
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Penn ($$), Columbia ($$), UCLA ($$)
    Waitlists: None
    Rejections: Harvard, HBS, MIT, Stanford, Chicago, Booth, Princeton, Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern, Yale
    Pending:
    Attending: Penn
    Comments:

All things considered, I'm happy with how it shook out. I had a steep hole to climb out of, having not attended a prestigious undergrad with a well-known econ program. I would definitely recommend others in my situation to also take on a full-time RA position, as I'm certain I wouldn't have placed as well without it.

My letter writers were surprised that I didn't place better, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I can get things started off. I found the responses from past years really helpful so I'd encourage others who are reading to post their results!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BS Math Econ
    Undergrad GPA: 3.52
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:165/155/4.5 Q/V/A
    Math Courses: Analysis 1, Topology, Calc 1-3, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Probability, Mathematical Statistics (Mix of A/B)
    Econ Courses: Standard Econ Major, Game Theory, Mathematical Economics
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: Undergrad Advisor, Undergrad Professor, Work Supervisor (decently connected industry Economist)
    Research Experience: Two years at a health economics consulting firm.
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests: Open ended, but in my SOP I put Applied Micro because that's where my background is the deepest.
    SOP: Talked about interests and preparation, etc.
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Oregon ($), NCSU ($$), UNC-Chapel Hill (off waitlist) ($$), Minnesota Applied
    Waitlists: UNC-Chapel Hill, Boston University (rejected later)
    Rejections: UW-Seattle, Boston University, NW-Kellogg, UC-Irvine, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Santa Clara
    Pending:
    Attending: UNC-Chapel Hill!
    Comments: Honestly, I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten into UNC. I was really excited and set to attend Oregon after the visit day, but got an offer off the waitlist the Wednesday before April 15th. Also, I think the only reason I didn't get straight rejected from BU was because I had a letter writer with a connection there, I don't think my profile is competitive enough to have gotten close to getting in.

I am glad I applied to a wide breadth of schools and would have applied to even more if I had the resources to do so, like maybe apply to all schools in the 20-50 range that were appealing. I also would have maybe tried to get a job that would have given me a stronger application, like working for the Fed, but I don't know if that would have even been feasible for me.

One thing I would not have done differently was email the schools I was waitlisted at expressing my high interest in their program and telling them that I had offers that would expire soon. I did this with UNC and Boston and received responses very quickly afterward, one positive, one negative.

How accurate were others' predictions of your range of admissions? People who haven't been involved in the admissions process in a long time are completely clueless as to how competitive it is. One of my letter writers regularly writes for students at my undergrad institution and I think he gave me the best outlook on where I should be applying. I felt like my profile would be competitive enough to confidently expect offers at certain places for 45-60, which I think it was after looking at my outcomes.

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BA Econ, BS Math & CS in 2015 @ Large State School Top 25 Econ
    Undergrad GPA: 3.90
    Type of Grad: N/A
    Grad GPA: NA
    GRE: 167/159/4.5 Q/V/A
    Math Courses: Diff EQ, Lin Alg, Advanced Calc (~Analysis), Intro Algebra, Probability Theory,
    Econ Courses: Microeconomic Analysis (Phd Seq), Econometrics I, II, International, Development, Labor, Game Theory
    Other Courses: Lots of CS (was primary major)
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 CS Prof (thesis adviser), 2 Econ Prof (thesis adviser and honors program director)
    Research Experience: CS UG thesis and Econ UG thesis
    Teaching Experience: TA for undergraduate CS course (basic Java, algorithms, data structures, etc)
    Research Interests: Mechanism Design, Game Theory, Micro
    SOP: Thought it was decent
    Other: Working as software engineer at an investment bank for last 2 years (weird, right?)

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Columbia ($$$), UCLA ($)
    Waitlists: Northwestern
    Rejections: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Stanford-Biz, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, Penn, NYU, Caltech
    Pending: NU I guess, but I told them to take me off the WL
    Attending: Columbia~
    Comments: Can't complain, Columbia will be awesome. Plus I already live here.
    I got distracted by a software dev job offer after school and took it since it looked like easy money. I'm sure this had admissions committees scratching their heads and questioning how serious I am. I only applied to top 15ish since I have a job I (mostly) like, so I feel fortunate to even get 1 acceptance. Though the rejections did sting!

What would you have done differently? Meh. I'm sure the weird gap hurt a lot. Given I got into CU, I don't regret taking the job after school since it solidified that I miss research, but I'd be singing a diff tune if I struck out I'm sure.

Seems to be a common theme but most people who aren't in academia or haven't applied to it before were quite surprised as to how competitive admissions are for PhD programs! They thought it was silly that I was concerned I may not getting into any...it was close!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    B.Eng. in Computer Engineering (1st Class Honours), best in the nation, unknown worldwide
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    M.Econ. in Economics (1st Ranked), same school
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    170Q/154V/3.5AW
    Math Courses:
    Calculus I & II, Linear Algebra, Differential Equation, Statistics, Adv Mathematical Economics
    Econ Courses:
    Advanced Micro, Advanced Macro, Adv Econometrics, Game Theory, Labor, Health, Education
    2 from advisors, 1 from Adv Micro lecturer, all should be very strong
    Research Experience:
    1.5 years RA at policy institute, 1 year RA for my advisors
    Teaching Experience:
    Adv Math Econ
    Research Interests:
    Labor, Education, Applied Micro
    SOP:
    Detailed on my motivation and experience, preparedness, research interest and career path
    Other: I'm graduating grad degree this year. Except Adv Econometrics, I get the top score in all classes. I'm an SEA student, not Singaporian, by the way.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    LSE (MSc), U of York
    Waitlists:
    Rejections:
    Stanford, Berkeley, Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, UCSD, Cornell, Brown, Texas, JHU, Rice, LSE, UCL, Warwick
    Pending:
    Attending:
    LSE (MSc)
    Comments:
    This is my 3rd cycle applying to US schools but 1st for UK schools. Not so surprise for UK schools outcome but totally unexpected for US schools.

Not applying to US schools and save money for the LSE degree.

Completely wrong. It was unexpected how different it could be. Most said I have good chance for top 30 in US but it turns out perfectly opposite.
    Last edited by DDQuanta; 04-16-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Edit school to reduce ambiguity

on ne dit pas grand-chose

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Top 15 USNWR/Top 30 Econ

Undergrad GPA: 3.97
    Type of Grad: US Master's Program
    Grad GPA: TBD
    GRE: 164/170/5.0
    Math Courses: Analysis I-II; Linear Algebra; Abstract Algebra; Topology I-II; Probability and Stochastic Processes; Stochastic Calculus

Econ Courses: Standard UG + PhD Math Methods; PhD Micro I-II; PhD Metrics I; PhD Information Economics (since application: Metrics II, Development field course)
    Other Courses: A smattering of French and Anthropology
    Letters of Recommendation: 1) UG major advisor (PhD Math Methods; Micro I), Harvard PhD; 2) UG game theory professor (PhD Micro II), Princeton PhD; 3) UG math research mentor (Topology I-II; summer thesis); 4) MA thesis advisor, Yale PhD.
    Research Experience: UG: 2 years part time in math; summer math thesis. MA: thesis; development RA work.
    Teaching Experience: Calculus peer mentor for two years in college.
    Research Interests: Microeconomic theory; political economy; development economics
    SOP: Fairly standard.
    Other: NA

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Princeton, Northwestern Kellogg, Caltech, UCSD
    Waitlists: Chicago (declined), Chicago Harris (declined), NYU, UPenn (subsequently rejected)
    Rejections (selected): HYSM, Berkeley, Chicago Booth, Brown, Penn State
    Pending: NA
    Attending: Princeton
    Comments: Relieved!

What would you have done differently? 1) Taken more statistics/programming classes earlier in my career; I haven't used any algebraic topology in my Master's program but I've cleaned data in STATA a fair bit.
    2) Applied to an RA job in the NBER/on the west coast.

How accurate were others' predictions of your range of admissions? Reasonably accurate, though probably a bit too optimistic.

AJZ

Good post? Yes | No

I benefited a lot from reading past profiles and results. I second jklimek. We should help future applicants by keeping threads like this going. Here's to Antichron!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    US TOP 20
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    US TOP 20
    Grad GPA:
    GRE: Q170 V161 W4.5
    Math Courses:
    Calculus (all A and A+), Linear Algebra (Honors A+), Real Analysis (Honors A-, A), Probability Theory (A, A+), Numerical Methods (A, A+), Differential Equation (A), Discrete Mathematics (A)
    Econ Courses:
    Undergrad:Micro. macro, metrics (all A+). Grad:Phd micro (all A)
    Other Courses:

Two from research, and one from a PhD micro course
    Research Experience:
    TA a year and a half for two professors. Honors thesis
    Teaching Experience:
    None
    Research Interests:
    IO and labor
    SOP:
    very standard. Talked about why interested in economics, preparation, research experience, and faculty at each school
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, and Northwestern
    Waitlists:

Rejections:
    Harvard, HBS, MIT, Stanford GSB, Chicago, NYU, and Brown
    Pending:
    Attending:
    Stanford
    Comments:

1. GRE verbal/writing not important as long as it doesn't raise a red flag.
    2. The outcome of my admission results coincide almost perfectly with my prior. And my prior is from reading profiles and results of past years. 3. GPA is necessary but not sufficient for top programs.
    4. Taking grad classes is a risky strategy. Things could have gone very wrong for me had I messed up in a PhD class that I took.
    5. PM me if any specific questions. I'll be more than happy to help.

The only thing I could have done to improve my profile is to work for NBER or Fed for some time before applying.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BSc Economics from UK in 2007
    Undergrad GPA: First Class Honours (4.0 equivalent)
    Type of Grad: MSc Economics from UK in 2008
    Grad GPA: Distinction (4.0 equivalent)
    GRE: 165V / 168Q / 6.0 AW
    Math Courses: Covered things like real analysis, calculus, dynamic programming during both undergrad and Masters
    Econ Courses: Advanced macro and micro, advanced econometrics, IO, etc.
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my Masters dissertation supervisor, 1 from head of another uni in the UK, 1 from an early career researcher at BSGE
    Research Experience: 8-9 years in competition economics
    Teaching Experience: None
    Research Interests: Empirical IO, applied econometrics
    SOP: Explained I'd kept up my maths skills despite not being in academia for a while, rest was fairly standard
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: OSU (Fellowship for first year)
    Waitlists:
    Rejections: Harvard, MIT, Chicago, Stanford, Berkeley, Northwestern, NYU, Minnesota, UMich, UCLA, Brown, Duke, Boston, UIUC, UCL, LSE< Oxford, Cambridge
    Pending:
    Attending: OSU
    Comments: Rather disappointed , but at least I got in somewhere - had been informed my profile was more than strong enough for the likes of Northwestern, and had an outside shot at Harvard.

Applied to a few more places (Princeton, Columbia)

Not accurate at all!

on ne dit pas grand-chose

Good post? Yes | No

(Double posted; sorry)
    Last edited by srslee; 04-16-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: (Double post)

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Regional, mid-ranked liberal arts / year abroad at LSE
    Undergrad GPA: 3.9
    Type of Grad: Analysis course at top 10 econ
    Grad GPA: B+
    GRE: 170Q/170V/6.0AW
    Math Courses: (liberal arts, As) Calc II/III, Linear Algebra, Probability, Math Stats, Diff Eq, Topology, Analysis I, Big Data Analysis; (LSE, As) Game Theory, Discrete Math; (NYU Grad, B+) Analysis II
    Econ Courses: standard econ major route at undergrad, nothing very advanced; (LSE, A) Principles of Econometrics
    Other Courses: little bit of CS, little bit of economic history
    Letters of Recommendation: (1) undergrad senior thesis advisor, excellent; (2) main economist at Fed, very good; (3) function head economist at Fed, good (probably)
    Research Experience: 2 years as RA at Federal Reserve working in financial economics, following summer internship there; senior thesis (honors); student-led research group (sophomore summer); volunteer RA with development research startup (freshmen and sophomore summer)
    Teaching Experience: TA for probability, calc III, and real analysis
    Research Interests: Maybe financial economics, maybe experimental/behavioral, maybe education, maybe labor. Honestly, I'm very open to anything
    SOP: Standard, and maybe I should have spent more time on this.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Minnesota, Wisconsin, UCSD, BU, Cornell (off waitlist), Wharton Applied Economics (off waitlist)
    Waitlists: Michigan, Penn
    Rejections: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Stanford, Booth, HBS, Sloan, Berkeley, Yale, NYU, Stern, Columbia, Columbia GSB, Northwestern, UCLA, Caltech, Brown, Duke
    Attending: Wharton Applied Economics
    Comments: It was a tough season emotionally (I'm coordinating with a partner headed to law school), but things turned out great. I'm thrilled to be headed to Wharton - I think that as a small, research focused program that invests in its students, it'll be a very good fit for me.

I made some sloppy mistakes in my application that probably made me look unprofessional. These would have been the easiest to fix. Getting an A in Analysis would have been nice (obviously).

General advice: apply for the NSF and apply to lots of programs. If you had told me one year ago that I would be attending Wharton Applied Economics, I would have said "what?" The expected value of an extra application is pretty high if you don't have a slam dunk application.

Advice to applicants from lower ranked liberal arts schools: you are dealing with some disadvantages, but they are completely surmountable. Don't fall into complacency if things are easy for you in undergrad. Push yourself into places where you will be challenged and uncomfortable and definitely not the smartest person in the room. Admission committees will be hesitant to trust your letters and grades because they're unfamiliar with your program and, if you're honest with yourself, because you were not being challenged as much as students at more selective places. Use your program as a stepping stone to take more challenging courses and enter a rigorous RA program where you can prove yourself and become affiliated with a trusted name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information