Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a rank for graduate programs in academic placement?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Is there a rank for graduate programs in academic placement?

Sponsored Ad:
    I didn't claim that one ranking system is perfect and the other is not. Among economists ideas ranking system is most widely used.
    If Queen's University graduates rank higher than Stanford GSB, it makes sense. GSB is a business school and Queen's is an economics school. Business schools tend to have harder time placing graduates in economics, but this shouldn't come to you as a surprise. Business schools and economics schools teach different material. If these were rankings purely on employer satisfaction, then yes, Stanford SGB would place at a much higher level than Queen's graduate.
    It's highly likely that an economics student gets an employment at a Business school, but not the other way around.
    I don't want anyone to be misinformed and think that USNews ranking is a better measure than Ideas just because StanfordGSB ranks lower, but again, this is a Business school. Queen's University currently produces second most cited research in Canada after University of British Columbia. Queen's is a very good school. Some think that University of Toronto is the best school in economics. It might well be given heavier percentage of their professors hold ivy league degrees than both University of British Columbia and Queen's University combined, but clearly the research output says otherwise. I encourage you to read some of the faculty's papers before comparing schools, or at the very least look at professors' Curriculum Vitae.

The biggest bias of USnews ranking system is that it over-ranks the American schools. Among top 20 schools according to US news, 17 out of 20 universities are American. Even surprising fact is that 2 of them are Netherland's Universities. It's not to say that the two Dutch schools and American schools are not excellent, but they just don't compare with some of top European institutes such as PSE, Bocconi, CEMFI. US news might be taken seriously by non economists, business majors, and non-researchers, but not among economists.
    Ideas is the only ranking that economics researchers should take seriously and ask your professors which ranking they use as an indicator of strong performance in research. I have done this, and 9 out of 10 will say Ideas.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

US News asks around people which schools are good and you are saying this is a reasonable ranking system?...
    That is disappointing if you are an economist even more so.
    Ideas ranks schools based on research output.
    https://ideas.repec.org/t/ranking.html
    I encourage you to read the methodology they use to compute the economics rankings and compare it to simply "asking around people..."

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

redundant from the previous post.
    Last edited by dregon03; 04-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Good post? Yes | No

Still disagree. What methodology places monash ahead of minnesota and duke? As has been argued earlier, many don't even have repec accounts. An obvious flaw in the method.
    Quote Originally Posted by dregon03 View Post
    Also, it is quite reasonable why Queen's ranks higher than Stanford SGB. I am very familiar with its reputation that it's a business school on par with U chicago Booth and Harvard Business school and such. However, these are business schools. And you are wondering why business school is ranked lower than an economics school in research output?
    To support my argument further, look at the rankings of Chicago Booth to Chicago economics department. Both are fascinating departments but they really shouldn't compete against each other in economics. Which one of the two are better business and economics research output combined? I don't know.

I hope my answers clarified your understanding. I wish you all the best choosing the right graduate school because ranking at the end of the day shouldn't be your only factor for graduate admissions.
    At the graduate level, having the right supervisor will matter most heavily.

Good luck!

Within my grasp!

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

US News asks around people which schools are good and you are saying this is a reasonable ranking system?...
    That is disappointing if you are an economist even more so.
    Ideas ranks schools based on research output.
    https://ideas.repec.org/t/ranking.html
    I encourage you to read the methodology they use to compute the economics rankings and compare it to simply "asking around people..."
    If the people who are polled by US News can read the IDEAS rankings, then yes, the US News rankings contain strictly more information than the IDEAS rankings.

I hope my answers clarified your understanding. I wish you all the best choosing the right graduate school because ranking at the end of the day shouldn't be your only factor for graduate admissions.

Good luck!
    I am a professor at a research university. But good luck to you as you embark on your M.A. program this fall.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Also, it is quite reasonable why Queen's ranks higher than Stanford SGB. I am very familiar with its reputation that it's a business school on par with U chicago Booth and Harvard Business school and such. However, these are business schools. And you are wondering why business school is ranked lower than an economics school in research output?
    To support my argument further, look at the rankings of Chicago Booth to Chicago economics department. Both are fascinating departments but they really shouldn't compete against each other in economics. Which one of the two are better business and economics research output combined? I don't know.

I hope my answers clarified your understanding. I wish you all the best choosing the right graduate school because ranking at the end of the day shouldn't be your only factor for graduate school decision.

Good luck!
    This thread is about academic placement, not simply research output (which Ideas doesn't necessarily give a great proxy of anyways).

So regardless of whether or not you think Stanford GSB has more "research output" than Queen's, Stanford GSB DEFINITELY has better placement than Queen's. In the last five years Stanford GSB has placed people at Harvard, NYU, and Chicago Booth. I guess I couldn't find anything on Queen's placement after a quick search, but I find it implausible that the placement of the two compare.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by behavingmyself View Post
    If the people who are polled by US News can read the IDEAS rankings, then yes, the US News rankings contain strictly more information than the IDEAS rankings.

I am a professor at a research university. But good luck to you as you embark on your M.A. program this fall.
    My words were directed to the person who started this thread. It's great that you are already employed. Congratulations.
    US news ranking has many flaws. Without going into the details of their methodology, US news ranking claims that out of top 10 economics departments 9 are located in US. The only one exception being LSE.
    According to US news ranking, out of top 20 economics departments 17 are located in US. 1 is LSE and 2 are Dutch schools. Only the "mother of biological affiliates" as you put it of these two Dutch schools would consider themselves to have better overall research outcomes than Oxford, PSE, UBonn, UBoconni, which are the top European economics schools that Dutch schools can directly compare to.The ranking over represents US economics departments and heavily underestimates + misrepresent non-American institutes. In addition, economics departments should be compared with national institutes such as NBER or Bank of Canada since these government/financial institutes have departments that do pure research and shouldn't be forgetten in graduate rankings.

If you are purely concerned about how people think about each schools, then yes. I think you "can" consider US news ranking, but if you are a serious economist, I urge you to consider Ideas rankings most seriously.

8. The post by dregon03 is hidden due to low votes. Really want to see it? Click the EXPAND button over there to the right.

The post by dregon03 is hidden due to low votes. Really want to see it? Click the EXPAND button over there to the right.

Within my grasp!

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Clearly a troll. Ignore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information