Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a rank for graduate programs in academic placement?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Is there a rank for graduate programs in academic placement?

Sponsored Ad:
    I am wondering if there exists a rank for Econ graduate programs in academic placement?
    Currently I only know USNEWS and Ideas, but they don't have this specific rank.
    Can I assume: Programs with higher ranks in USNEWS will also have better academic placement? (Any outliers in the placement rank?)
    Look for more information and insight.

2. The post by dregon03 is hidden due to low votes. Really want to see it? Click the EXPAND button over there to the right.

The post by dregon03 is hidden due to low votes. Really want to see it? Click the EXPAND button over there to the right.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Is there a rank for graduate programs in academic placement?

I absolutely disagree with this. How can you like this ranking? How in the world does this rating put places like boston college and USC ahead of cornell duke maryland toronto and minnesota? How is monash university's research output (or placement) better than maryland minnesota toronto stern nyu?? Utter rubbish. If you like research output go see Tilburg, sort by top 10 journals and then see.
    Quote Originally Posted by dregon03 View Post
    I believe Ideas is the only reliable ranking system that truly measures the level of graduate studies in economics. I recommend you not to look at other rankings as they can depend heavily on non relevant factors such as the university student size and employer feedback. These things might heavily matter for undergraduate studies but graduate studies quality is determined by the research output by the department or institution.
    https://ideas.repec.org/top/
    Under the special ranking, there is one for the "success" of graduate students. This measures the research output by the current researchers and ranking based on their institution that they received phD degrees from.

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I think Colorado and UCSB are known to place a lot better (read: more towards academia) than their ranking suggests.

You asked about outliers, so there are two.

I also think Cornell is known to place noticeably worse than similarly ranked programs.

This is just from reading threads on here, really.

Within my grasp!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Ignore the guy that says to rank graduate program by Ideas. USNews is better, but by no means perfect.

Eager!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Thank you about the special rank. I never paid attention to them before.
    Quote Originally Posted by dregon03 View Post
    Also, I want to inform you that
    https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.inst.all10.html

This is the ranking of institutions by research output (only research output) in the past 10 years. When choosing your graduate program, this might be the most useful source instead of looking for graduate academic placements, since if the research is good, then placement is something that just follows.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Do you know why Colorado and UCSB have better placement? I am purely curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    I think Colorado and UCSB are known to place a lot better (read: more towards academia) than their ranking suggests.

You asked about outliers, so there are two.

I also think Cornell is known to place noticeably worse than similarly ranked programs.

This is just from reading threads on here, really.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Can you elaborate more about the comparison between USNEWS and Ideas? In my opinion, professors tend to look at Ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    Ignore the guy that says to rank graduate program by Ideas. USNews is better, but by no means perfect.

Within my grasp!

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

US News is a reputation ranking of graduate programs. It is constructed by asking people which programs are good. Therefore it is going to seem subjectively reasonable to most economists. The only downside is that it is only a ranking of US programs.

The IDEAS rankings are quite unreliable. For example, the ranking of graduates places Queen's above Stanford GSB, which exactly zero people who are not the biological mothers of Queen's affiliates think is reasonable. Part of this unreliability is because lots of people don't have RePEc profiles. Part of it is because IDEAS doesn't account for department size. Part of it is because it is difficult to come up with simple metrics that encompass what people think of as quality. The point is, you should treat the IDEAS rankings as only the roughest of guidelines to which departments are good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information