Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prospective PhD after masters

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Prospective PhD after masters

Sponsored Ad:
    I wouldn't be surprised if what you say is accurate. I can't seem to find any information on placement into industries or graduate programs. It seems that this program most likely places people into 50-70 ranked programs realistically

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ehphd2017 View Post
    OP ignore this comment. You certainly have a shot if you improve your GRE, get great letters and if possible hav some RA experience with a working paper out. Best wishes.
    I'm extremely puzzled at this. I've seen your profile, which was strictly dominant over OP's, and massively ahead of him in several aspects. Your grades, GRE, pedigree, and mathematical background are above or equal to his ceiling. You also had 2 years of RA experience (OP has zero RA experience) - and unless you were incompetent at cleaning data, it means you had better reference letters than OP can ever get from a master's program.

Your application to econ PhDs had a clear cut-off around the #25-30 mark, i.e. you were rejected by those higher than #25, accepted by those below #30.

That is also what I would have guessed about your profile; I definitely think you made a good decision on your target list. And congratulations.

But OP's profile isn't even comparable. You own results are sufficient to provide OP with the information he actually wanted to know about: He doesn't have a chance at the top 35. Not now, not in 1.5 years, and probably not even if he spends another year doing RA work. In fact, I'm willing to take a 1-to-3 wager that he doesn't get a funded offer from a top 35 Ph.D. program within the next 3 years.

I simply don't understand how your advice can be so drastically inconsistent with your own decisions and experiences.
    Last edited by chateauheart; 04-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Public top 50
    Undergraduate GPA: 3.26 (at time of graduation)
    Type of Grad: UC Denver
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: 160Q/150V/ can't recall the analytical
    Math Courses:Linear Algebra (C), Calculus 3 (B+), analysis of ODE's(A+), Stability Theory(B+), Partial Differential Equations (A+), Mathematical Modeling (A+, paper in submission process for publication), Probability Theory (A)
    Economics Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro (A+/B+), Economic statistics (A), Game Theory (A), Econometrics (A), Industrial Organization (A), Economics of futures markets (A)
    Letters of Recommendation: One from economics professor who received his PhD from MIT, I am currently TA'ing for this professor. One from well known mathematician, one from mathematician I conducted research with, one from statistics course.
    Research Experience: Research in existence and uniqueness to differential equations (this delved into baby functional analysis), research in stochastic processes, research in fluid dynamics.
    Teaching experience: I tutored in the mathematics department and am currently a TA for the professor from MIT, the course is Microeconomics (junior level).

Research Interests: Macroeconomics/monetary economics, Financial economics.

with this profile, assuming I take linear algebra and analysis 1 and 2 in my masters, and improve my GRE to above a 165 would I realistically have close to zero shot at the top 35-40? The undergrad GPA is low I must admit, but most of the C's on my transcript come from my first two years and they are in general education courses. If the top 40 is not doable I suppose it could be worse however. Thanks for all the help!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information