Urch Forums

Prospective PhD after masters

Golf

Hello,

I've been a longtime reader of the forum and thought I'd ask a question. I will be pursuing my masters degree in economics at UC Denver, I was wondering with my profile if it would be possible to gain admittance to a top 35 program after completion (assuming I do well). To give you some background-

My undergrad GPA is slightly low- around 3.2-3.25

I have a good deal of mathematics courses (ODE's, PDE's, modeling, lower level linear algebra etc) but lack formal real analysis (though I did do self study with a professor on this matter)

my economics gpa is good- around 3.7 with classes in the usual subfields (micro macro, IO, Econometrics, game theory etc)

I have TA'd one course in microeconomics.

My GRE was unfortunately not very good, around a 160 quant score, which is not ideal to say the least.

With all of this information, would my chances for a top 30-35 PhD program be good assuming I take analysis and improve my GRE score?

Thank you!

It depends on what top 35 you mean. If you are speaking about top 35 in US, then maybe. If you are speaking about top 35 in the world, then no. I think you should rather aim for admissions at schools that specialize since your GPA is definitely too low for any decent school.

Good luck!

OP ignore this comment. You certainly have a shot if you improve your GRE, get great letters and if possible hav some RA experience with a working paper out. Best wishes.

It depends on what top 35 you mean. If you are speaking about top 35 in US, then maybe. If you are speaking about top 35 in the world, then no. I think you should rather aim for admissions at schools that specialize since your GPA is definitely too low for any decent school.

Good luck!

Edited by ehphd2017

We will be able to give you more informative feedback if you fill in the standard profile information:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses:

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests:

SOP:

Other:

I was under the impression that UC Denver placed students (if they had a strong profile) at top 40 schools. I could be wrong but this was my impression based on what I've read.

UC Denver is not even a top 40 program itself. It might place the odd student at a top 40 school, but I think *might not be right* that these might be international and non-domestic students.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you say is accurate. I can't seem to find any information on placement into industries or graduate programs. It seems that this program most likely places people into 50-70 ranked programs realistically

OP ignore this comment. You certainly have a shot if you improve your GRE, get great letters and if possible hav some RA experience with a working paper out. Best wishes.

I'm extremely puzzled at this. I've seen your profile, which was strictly dominant over OP's, and massively ahead of him in several aspects. Your grades, GRE, pedigree, and mathematical background are above or equal to his ceiling. You also had 2 years of RA experience (OP has zero RA experience) - and unless you were incompetent at cleaning data, it means you had better reference letters than OP can ever get from a master's program.

Your application to econ PhDs had a clear cut-off around the #25-30 mark, i.e. you were rejected by those higher than #25, accepted by those below #30.

That is also what I would have guessed about your profile; I definitely think you made a good decision on your target list. And congratulations.

But OP's profile isn't even comparable. You own results are sufficient to provide OP with the information he actually wanted to know about: He doesn't have a chance at the top 35. Not now, not in 1.5 years, and probably not even if he spends another year doing RA work. In fact, I'm willing to take a 1-to-3 wager that he doesn't get a funded offer from a top 35 Ph.D. program within the next 3 years.

I simply don't understand how your advice can be so drastically inconsistent with your own decisions and experiences.

Edited by chateauheart

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public top 50

Undergraduate GPA: 3.26 (at time of graduation)

Type of Grad: UC Denver

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 160Q/150V/ can't recall the analytical

Math Courses:Linear Algebra ©, Calculus 3 (B+), analysis of ODE's(A+), Stability Theory(B+), Partial Differential Equations (A+), Mathematical Modeling (A+, paper in submission process for publication), Probability Theory (A)

Economics Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro (A+/B+), Economic statistics (A), Game Theory (A), Econometrics (A), Industrial Organization (A), Economics of futures markets (A)

Letters of Recommendation: One from economics professor who received his PhD from MIT, I am currently TA'ing for this professor. One from well known mathematician, one from mathematician I conducted research with, one from statistics course.

Research Experience: Research in existence and uniqueness to differential equations (this delved into baby functional analysis), research in stochastic processes, research in fluid dynamics.

Teaching experience: I tutored in the mathematics department and am currently a TA for the professor from MIT, the course is Microeconomics (junior level).

Research Interests: Macroeconomics/monetary economics, Financial economics.

with this profile, assuming I take linear algebra and analysis 1 and 2 in my masters, and improve my GRE to above a 165 would I realistically have close to zero shot at the top 35-40? The undergrad GPA is low I must admit, but most of the C's on my transcript come from my first two years and they are in general education courses. If the top 40 is not doable I suppose it could be worse however. Thanks for all the help!!