Urch Forums

Applying for non-US masters with a view to continuing with a PhD - chances?

Generichandle

Hi all

With apologies for how early this thread is, I was looking to gather a few second opinions on my chances for various European/Canadian masters programmes starting sep 18, with the caveat that I would probably need full funding to make it viable. My old Econ tutor reckons that I've got a really strong chance, but I just wanted to check.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA in philosophy, politics and Econ at Oxford (UK citizen)

Undergrad GPA: 1st class, 72% and 75% in Econ modules. 15/240 in the year

Type of Grad: I have a law school msc. Not sure this counts.

Grad GPA: distinction

GRE: haven't taken it yet, hopefully good

Math Courses: the usual required for undergrad micro and metrics

Econ Courses: micro, macro, metrics, game theory

Other Courses: political theory, 3 other philosophy modules

Letters of Recommendation: probably 1 good one from my old tutor and a decent one from another tutor. Both were PhD students at the time and neither have stayed in academia

Research Interests: finance, macro (especially dev), game theory

Other: I have been out of uni for 4 years. 2 years of 'relevant' work experience as a corporate lawyer in a top city of London firm. Including a stint in the capital markets

Right now i have Oxbridge, bgse, and ubc on my radar, though I will probably apply to a few more (i would prefer not to live in London anymore tbh...). I would be fully intending to continue on to a PhD, either at the uni I attend, or elsewhere. I'd be grateful if anyone could provide an honest assessment of my chances, and of how competitive funding would be (eg for UK unis, I would be looking at esrc funding).

Any advice at all would be really appreciated!

Edited by Generichandle

Mention for a little typo, you probably mean BA in PPE at Oxford.

Your profile seems solid for master's in econ. Being top 5% of the class from Oxford is a very good signal. Your law degree is still worth mention in application as you get a distinction. One thing I would add is for you to attend school where there is well-known professors in your field of interest and could be your supervisor. These programs usually requires you writing thesis thus field of interest and supervisor are important. Also, you will have good LOR writers. IMO I would suggest you enroll master's in UK as most of them are very strong. Also, as you are UK citizen, you have more chance of getting some kind of funding, or loan. Look into each school in your radar to find if there is anyone like I said. If you get a distinction again from, says, Oxbridge you should have decent chance for top 10 programs, or top 30 for extreme case.

I can't say anything about UBC and BGSE but I think Oxbridge would sounds better.

Edited by DDQuanta
typo

If you're close to the top of your undergrad class at Oxford, I would imagine you will have no trouble getting into master's programs. While the PPE program has a little less math than ideal, American and Canadian schools around the level of the schools you've listed would generally be quite eager to admit you directly to a PhD program. (I can't speak for European schools.)

You are competitive for UBC but if you are looking for a fully funded masters it is not likely. UBC is not well known for good funding, the tuition is low even for international students, around 8k. But living in van is incredibly expensive and you most likely would get a TA ship only, maybe a little extra depending on their budget. If you are looking for Canadian masters with good funding consider Queens or SFU.

Thanks all for your great advice and recommendations. It's all very encouraging! I suppose I will apply to all of these programmes and hope I get funded!

@behavingmyself - so you reckon I might have a shot at direct entry into good US PhD programmes? Which US schools do you think I'd have a chance at? Top 30+?

Note - I don't actually have any research experience which I heard was necessary for direct entry into us phd

Edited by Generichandle

As a current bgse offer holder, I am pretty sure that you'll get accepted to bsge economics programme. The funding seems quite competitive, so I am not that much sure about funding. According to their website, 1/3 of offer holders have full or partial scholarship, so you might have a chance. I definitely recommend you to apply for bsge because of their placement success. When it comes to oxbridge, as far as I know Oxford is better than Cambridge in economics. The other master programmes that you can consider are CEMFI, PSE, TSE, UCL, Bonn, Tinbergen and maybe QEM erasmus mundus.

Thanks very much - that's encouraging! I saw that statistic, it seems quite a good chance for a masters. If you don't mind my asking, what is your background, and were you able to get funding? Also, when did you actually receive the decision?

Oxford/Cambridge I'll see what I get and then make the decision. I'll look into the other schools you mentioned, thanks (although I don't have unlimited money for application fees)

Edited by Generichandle

I am going to be graduated from economics and management programme confucted by LSE and UoLIP. I expect a 2.1 or 1.1. I didn't get any scholarship, but applied an external scholarship and waiting for results. The first round results were announced at the beginning of February. The application deadline of BGSE is earlier than other programmes in the europe. I think, it was 15 of January. You can check their website and thegradcafe for further information.

As far as I know, only schools in Spain, the UK and the netherlands require application fees, so basicly you can apply to PSE, TSE and Bonn for free. However, some of them requires additional documents like birth certificate, list of readings and curriculum of the lectures you have taken. Preparing these stuff is quite time-consuming, which means a non-financial cost for application. Therefore, I advice you to start your application process as early as possible.

@behavingmyself - so you reckon I might have a shot at direct entry into good US PhD programmes? Which US schools do you think I'd have a chance at? Top 30+?

Being in the top decile of your undergrad class at Oxford alone would surely be enough for some school in the 10-25 range in the US to admit you. Even people with mediocre grades from elite institutions can swing admission to a top 25 department. In fact I would wager at even money that you could still work out admission at somewhere in this ranking range to start this fall, despite being months past the application deadlines. Strong letters, research experience, and good performance in a master's would make you competitive anywhere.

Being in the top decile of your undergrad class at Oxford alone would surely be enough for some school in the 10-25 range in the US to admit you. Even people with mediocre grades from elite institutions can swing admission to a top 25 department. In fact I would wager at even money that you could still work out admission at somewhere in this ranking range to start this fall, despite being months past the application deadlines. Strong letters, research experience, and good performance in a master's would make you competitive anywhere.

Let me gently disagree with the suggestion of an immediate PhD admission. The OP would probably need more math and letters of recommendation from economists (both of which a masters could help with). The issue isn't one of ability, but rather how to signal that ability. And the math part is actually needed; it's not just a signal.

Thanks. I think I should take a masters first just for my own sake, but it's good to know my undergrad will be looked favourably upon.

Do you guys know to what extent the reputation of the people giving my reference will matter for European masters? Obviously I feel that this is a weak point of mine since I don't have any current academics giving my references, but I feel I can get them to say nice things!

I think top 5% from Oxford BA and distinction in Law are already enough. LOR writers should primarily be your BA supervisor and others in your economics department. What matters is they can write very good things about you. Getting the one who know you best to write is more important than big names. But it will be better if the one knowing you best is also a big name.

Take my case as an example. I'm from a worldwide unknown school and my supervisors are brand-new PhD graduates. Still, I get into MSc in Economics at LSE. It is more yourself and what LOR writers say about you than their name.