Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Eval

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Eval

Sponsored Ad:
    Looking from UMass website, the first three are classified as Gen.Ed. which I bet do not count. That means you have Intermediate Micro/Macro and one elective. Personally I think these should be enough. Most adcoms focus primarily on core courses rather than elective courses, especially math-intensive courses. You have solid background in mathematics which more than compensate that so I'm pretty sure you're qualified to apply.

I need to mention, however, that UC Davis is generally close to top 30 which makes competition super high. You sure can apply but given you have neither research experience nor graduate coursework while others do will put you at disadvantage. So I must re-affirm my original advice that you either choose lower-ranked school or follow one of two ways to improve your profile before applying.

For Zubrus's advice, I will think the same if it were last year. But given this year competitiveness, I can no longer think that way.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions. I took the GRE, and got 167Q /154V and 4.5AW. Is the low Verbal a concern enough to retake? I think on a good day I can get it to 156-158, and get quant higher too. I know quant is most important, but I don't want my application tossed because of the low verbal. My aim is still 25-50, and I might apply to a few top 20 as well.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi OP. I just started at a school very similar in rank to UC davis (us news). I disagree with the above posts that you need an RA to hit T30 if you have a good math background. Your's is solid (would say really solid except for the lack of an analysis course). I've got several classmates with profile similar to yours (and a couple of people with profiles strictly weaker than yours). So I think you should apply to T20-T50 for sure, and if you have time, throw in a couple of T10-T20 as well. I also disagree that its very hard to move up in ranking from undergrad to grad programs. That may be the case if you're looking to move upto T15-T10 perhaps, but certainly not at T30s. Again, I have class mates who bumped up more than 20 places in ranking. Best of luck to you.

Good post? Yes | No

with a math major its unlikely it will get thrown out. If you have the energy and time to retake it I would aim for a 170 in math though. verbal scores won't matter until its really low (read less than 150).
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions. I took the GRE, and got 167Q /154V and 4.5AW. Is the low Verbal a concern enough to retake? I think on a good day I can get it to 156-158, and get quant higher too. I know quant is most important, but I don't want my application tossed because of the low verbal. My aim is still 25-50, and I might apply to a few top 20 as well.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ksuga View Post
    with a math major its unlikely it will get thrown out. If you have the energy and time to retake it I would aim for a 170 in math though. verbal scores won't matter until its really low (read less than 150).
    While its anecdotal, I have a friend who scored 158 in Q and got into PSU (was a physics major from US LAC). This was 2 years ago.

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Another thing to add that is anecdotal: One of my HS friends went to Umass Amherst and had a perfect GPA as an econ major, got a perfect GRE Q score and was only able to get into two top 40 programs. I think it's difficult to get into a really great program from Umass due to its low ranking.
    Last edited by kingofloss6; 08-08-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information