Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How competitive has this year been?

Within my grasp!

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: How competitive has this year been?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    Seeing as we overlapped in terms of letter writers, and they informed me that my chances were at least as strong, I think I can make that assessment actually
    Here is a life tip: people lie.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    The anecdotal evidence I have suggests it has got much harder over the past five or so years - a former colleague with a similar profile to mine got into Stanford five years ago, whereas I received just the one offer from OSU.
    Oops *deleted* I thought you meant Oregon State University.

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    Here is a life tip: people lie.
    Do letter writers actually lie about these things? I thought professors would usually let you know whether they intend to write you a strong letter or not, and my initial understanding was that this was partially communicated in their evaluation of my chances for success in grad school admissions (conditional on other aspects in my application package). This was one of the signals I used to make a guestimate on whether he/she would write me a good letter (ex. If one prof tells me that I have a chance for top 30 and another tells me top 10, then it would make sense to choose the latter).

What made you think that Rohanps' letter-writer lied to him/her, and could you suggest tips on how future applicants can avoid this situation?

I have been involved in admissions for more than 5 years. Applications have become more competitive over time but at nothing near the rate Rohanps implies. Things have not changes so much that someone who got into Stanford 5 years ago would now be shut out of the top 20.

Kaysa isn't wrong that your own advisors may want to be encouraging about your admissions prospects; also, the people you ask for letters are probably those who you believe have the most positive assessment of your abilities. But the lesson to learn is that different professors have different preferences over graduate student profiles. Rohanps's professors might have actually preferred Rohanps to the student from five years before, but as evidenced by admissions outcomes, other professors felt differently. That should be motivation to apply broadly and include safety schools.

I applied in 2015 and this year. While I ofcourse had a better application with phd level courses I had a pretty big stain in my application (failing prelims will always make applying again extremely difficult).

Even then, I was accepted with funding (and fellowships) to schools that had, in 2015, only been waitlisted to. Even with the big X in my application, I was still able to get accepted to comparable (and some will say subjectively better) school than I am now.

From my personal experience it didn't really seem any more competative given I had better results than before. I can also support from my own application that getting of the waitlist was much harder. In 2015 almost all the schools who waitlisted me ended up asking if I wanted (an unfunded) offer. This year, I received many more waitlists but not one accepted me of the waitlist - all said that their first round outstanding offers had been accepted at a larger rate than prior years.

Good post? Yes | No

I agree with you. For my country, there were more than 40 applicants from top 2 universities. Normally around 25 applicants apply per year I think.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

My general understanding has been that T20 programs have been reducing class sizes to be able to better fund matriculated students and reduce attrition rates over the last 2-3 years. For example, if Chicago Econ reduced the incoming cohort size to 20 from 40 in the last 2 years that alone would translate into tougher admission standards for the T10.

economist

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
    454 426 449 450 441
    Here are the number of first year students in the top 20 programs each Fall.
    (Source: CSWEP)

Eager!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Much greater competition. Just look at how many economics master programs there are available right now. A great proportion of masters will apply for Econ PhD.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
    Much greater competition. Just look at how many economics master programs there are available right now. A great proportion of masters will apply for Econ PhD.
    I don't know how many people in these programs actually want to do a PHD. Just from a few anecdotal examples, a very small percentage of people in my program and some of my friends' programs actually want to apply to a PHD program. And not many of them have a shot at a T20 program.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information