Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How competitive has this year been?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: How competitive has this year been?

Sponsored Ad:
    lol dude you have way too high and mighty an attitude. very few (if anyone) in this forum thinks your credentials are as extraordinary as you have been implying. 8 years of pvt sector experience doesnt count as the kind of academic-style research adcoms like to see. that you graduated a long time ago hurts. No doubt you're very good, but you sound like you're going to go into OSU thinking you're way better than the rest, and that will hurt you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    Yeah, thanks for proving my point. Cheers.

Eager!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Afraid I'm going to contest your ad hominem attack. I have only been relaying what my letter writers told me I could expect, and the views that were expressed by others in response to the thread I posted 18 months ago with my profile and the universities to which I was applying. At no point have I suggested that I "deserved" to get into somewhere like Stanford, merely that I am disappointed that I did not. In the case of this thread, I simply responded to the question asked and was rudely spoken down to by Kaysa. If that is me being "high and mighty", then I struggle to know what you would consider being humble. However, you are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Yeah, there's no need for that kind of comment ksuga. It is very natural to feel disappointed if your letter writers convey one belief but your results are quite different.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    Yeah, there's no need for that kind of comment ksuga. It is very natural to feel disappointed if your letter writers convey one belief but your results are quite different.
    Agreed. I'd be quite dismayed if that happened to me as well

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by econphilomath View Post
    Some top departments took less students this year due to over admitting last year and this generated congestion that rippled down and made waitlists high up not move. This may have been w surprise and generated the observed waitlist frustrations.
    Interesting. I actually know 3 departments in the top 10 that take a lot of students (~30) this year.
    Last edited by echoing2016; 04-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by echoing2016 View Post
    Interesting. I actually know 3 departments in the top 10 that take a lot of students (~30) this year. (For at least one of them, the yield rate is so high that they didn't end up admitting many from the waitlist.) Other departments may have more normal enrollment, though.
    Maybe competition is so fierce which makes acceptance rate unexpectedly high (no one declines a top 10 offer since they have only one)?

We really need to write a structural model to make sense of it

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser View Post
    Maybe competition is so fierce which makes acceptance rate unexpectedly high (no one declines a top 10 offer since they have only one)?

We really need to write a structural model to make sense of it
    It's more like something weird is going on on the demand side if they increasingly give offers to those nobody else is giving an offer to.

Caveat: discussion based on limited data and speculations, not meant to be taken seriously

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

That is right. That some top departments took more students is a function of being surprised they got more acceptances than usual because someone higher up took less. This makes them not go to the waitlist and then those move downward generating the ripple effect to programs below.

It would also contribute to the feeling waitlists moved less and maybe explains the sentiment on this board that it was more competitive this year.
    Given all that I guess you could say it was more competitive since the number of slots at the top diminished slightly but demand maybe stayed the same. Hard to know for sure without admin data on applications.
    now for tenure... game never ends

Good post? Yes | No

I don't have any data to support my claim, but it seems like many students who were accepted by a T20 only had that one dominating offer, so most offers from T20 were accepted. Since the yield rate is so high, many schools did not go to their waitlists or only accepted a small number of students from their waitlists.

Obviously there are also those stars who got lots of T20 offers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information