Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Math and stat camp at Rice Online

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Math and stat camp at Rice Online

Sponsored Ad:
    I took both the math and stats camps. I agree with win that they are challenging given the material difficulty and time limit, esp the stats part. I'd say the math camp is more intense, but not too hard to understand while the materials in the stats camp are definitely harder. They're even more challenging if you have only minimum math and stats before (LA, one-term calculus, and one or two undergrad stats courses). You'd have to read and practice problems a lot on your own. But they're designed for PhD students so I guess the demanding level is reasonable. If you want to do graduate coursework, you are supposed to work that hard I guess.

I can't tell about the signal to ad com these courses have but I believe that they are worth to try in order to prepare for graduate schools, even for PhD students in business schools. They'd give you a sense of the demanding level you should expect in graduate school. Also, as far as I know, most first-year graduate coursework in business schools is similar to that of economics so the math camp definitely helps.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TaxGal View Post
    What level of math should be known for the math camp? I'm lacking in math courses and have done some self study. I was looking for something that would give me a good overview and show that even without the university courses I know the math required. I'm applying for a phd in accounting so I know it isn't as much math as Econ. Would this be good for me?
    Hey tax gal. I'm a 5th year accounting PhD student. If you don't have linear algebra, calc 3, and one or two semesters of probability and stats, then you are better off spending time and money on those. Once you have those you won't need to demonstrate more quant ability unless you want to do theory at a good school.

I'm assuming math camp at rice is similar to my university. You could try it and it would give you exposure to stuff you will see in econ. But you will do math camp at your own school anyway. Overall, I don't think it is a great use of your time.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Hey tax gal. I'm a 5th year accounting PhD student. If you don't have linear algebra, calc 3, and one or two semesters of probability and stats, then you are better off spending time and money on those. Once you have those you won't need to demonstrate more quant ability unless you want to do theory at a good school.

I'm assuming math camp at rice is similar to my university. You could try it and it would give you exposure to stuff you will see in econ. But you will do math camp at your own school anyway. Overall, I don't think it is a great use of your time.
    Formally I've only had elementary calculus I think I've self studied halfway through calc 2. I don't really have the time or more importantly the money to take that many formal classes since I'd need to take calc 1&2 and linear algebra and each cost $1,000 or more. So anyway I can signal to ad comms that I will be prepared as best I can without formal classes is what I need. I've done coursera and some of the mit free calculus plus YouTube.

Good post? Yes | No

Is the course being offered this year??

Currently there is a self paced version available on : https://catalog.rice.edu/browse/onli...s/17-math-camp
    Is this any different from the last year course in terms of Certificate given and Final Test ?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TaxGal View Post
    Formally I've only had elementary calculus I think I've self studied halfway through calc 2. I don't really have the time or more importantly the money to take that many formal classes since I'd need to take calc 1&2 and linear algebra and each cost $1,000 or more. So anyway I can signal to ad comms that I will be prepared as best I can without formal classes is what I need. I've done coursera and some of the mit free calculus plus YouTube.
    Yeah, math camp is too advanced. Finish up calc 2. Get good at partial derivatives. Get familiar with linear algebra, particularly the notation. That will help you out a lot. Saying you have done the MIT stuff will help in applications along with good quant score on GMAT.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we are starting the fall run of math camp a little later this year, so it is not too late to enroll. The starting date for the math camp will be October 9th. For the first time, we are offering an online version of the stat camp, which will start on October 16th.

For more information about our math and stat camps, please feel free to ask me or see the rest of this thread or http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ce-online.html.

We will once again be offering a developing country discount of 50% off of the price of tuition for those living in developing countries. For this purpose, we define a developing country as a country that is either on the IMF's list of "Emerging and Developing Countries" (see World Economic Outlook Database April 2015 -- WEO Groups and Aggregates Information) or that is not classified as an high-income economy by the World Bank (see https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/k...lending-groups).

In addition, all non-Rice students who take the math or stat camp will be eligible for a waiver of the application fee if they choose to apply to the Rice PhD program.

Best,
    Hulya Eraslan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information