Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Masters at Bonn vs lower ranked masters (Tilburg/CEU). Please read details.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Masters at Bonn vs lower ranked masters (Tilburg/CEU). Please read details.

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

I recently got an admit from university of bonn for my masters in economics. But, I have already accepted masters at a lower ranked university and my visa is already under processing (Non EU citizen).

My question is whether Bonn's economics program is good enough to cancel my plans for the current university and go to Bonn?
    My interests are in Macroeconomics and I would like to move to the US for my PhD.

Thanks for your feedback.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Masters at Bonn vs lower ranked masters (Tilburg/CEU). Please read details.

I would say that both Bonn and Tilburg are not much different in term of quality. Instead, I would urge you to choose the place where you feel more comfortable with. It may be funding, weather, coursework, length of the program, etc. You should also look at IDEAS to find if there is any decent macroeconomist in either school that you could work with. I don't know about their program in detail but, IMO, I would choose the one with 2 year length to get better letter of recommendation as you have more time to spend with your writers.

Regarding ranking, you should not strictly use it as absolute determinant for your decision. Rankings only gives you a rough picture of quality of the department. For my own measure, if they are different by no more than 20% in number (EX. 5 and 6, 30 and 36, 60 and 72), you can consider them to be on par.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Masters at Bonn vs lower ranked masters (Tilburg/CEU). Please read details.

I think you should follow this advice.

The two schools are not very different in quality. If you find someone in Bonn that you REALLY want to work with then you could go through all the problem of cancelling and so on

Thread Information