Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation (Applying Fall 2017). PhD Econ & PhD Finance & PhD B-School Econ

EconPadawan

You don't want to be in a finance program if you aren't interested in finance research. What did you do as an RA? Do you understand finance research at all?

You can spin finance stuff into other areas, but it may not get into top journals. I am not sure that you would be more competitive for finance programs. The letters from finance people help, but that is all that stands out.

Having letters from b-school professors isn't a sufficient reason to apply to a different discipline from your actual interest.

You should apply to the top 15 econ programs and HKS/Harris Public Policy. Berkeley Haas BPP is worth considering but I suspect it''s not as good a fit as Berkeley economics. You could also consider Stanford GSB Political Econ over EAP, because EAP is too theory-oriented for you.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, apologies for the format of presentation. If there is a standard template, I am not aware of it.

Moving on....

Profile overview:

Interest 1: Behavioral Economics

Interest 2: Macro/Finance

M.S. Economics (top 15 US university) 3.83/4.00

MBA - Finance (top 10 university in India) 5.53/10.00

B.Tech - Civil Engineering (Top 10 university in India) 7.87/10.00

GARP-awarded Certification of "Financial Risk Management"

Corporate experience: 3 yrs. with Citibank India

Math courses: Graduate level Real Analysis - A grade. Graduate level Math for Economists - A grade

Undergrad Linear Algebra & Calculus, Probability & Stats.: AB and A

GRE: QA - 166. VA - 161. Taking it again to crack 170 (hopefully)

RA experience: Worked for a well-known/well connected Behavioral Economist at current university. Not a very long working assignment- hardly 2 months. But prof. seemed happy with my work.

Letters of Recommendation (in order of expected usefulness)

1) Above mentioned behavioral economist (seemed happy with my work. very open about letter. "You do my work; I write your letter" kind of a policy. he is from UC-Berkeley)

2) Math professor who taught Real Analysis (he might have decent things to say about me. got his PhD from one of the best places for Math in Europe)

3) A Micro-theorist from my university who is from Stanford (he will probably say I got an A in his class. I don't expect him to say anything more than that)

4) Tentative: An international macroeconomist who will probably just say about my A grade in her class.

5) Tentative: A well-known labour economist who will probably just say about my A grade in his class.

6) Tentative: A Yale macroeconomist who will probably just say about my A grade in his class.

My no. 1 recommender told me flatout to not apply to Harvard and MIT (Not that I was going to anyway)

But, should I apply to other top places like UC-Berkeley (dream college), Booth for behavioral, Yale SOM for behavioral Finance ? (No. 1 recommender has research papers with people at both places)

Can someone please suggest some "safety" schools. That said, I don't think there exist "safety" schools for behavioral Econ because most of the research happens in the top 15-25 colleges. Perhaps some colleges that can speak to my second interest - macro ?

Thank you very much for any help that is extended!:encouragement:

• 4 weeks later...