Urch Forums

How to have a "qucik" understanding of each econ field?

toalwhen

Is there any way to have a big picture about what each field in economics is about? For example, what people are studying in applied micro theory. Does it matter (to know about what specific field you want to do in PHD) when you apply for econ PHD programs? Thanks a lot in advance.

Is there any way to have a big picture about what each field in economics is about? For example, what people are studying in applied micro theory. Does it matter (to know about what specific field you want to do in PHD) when you apply for econ PHD programs? Thanks a lot in advance.

You might want to take a look through issues of the Journal of Economic Perspectives.

It is generally not terribly important to know what field you are interested in, as many students switch interests. The exception is if you might be interested in a field that is not offered everywhere. As examples, almost all departments will have people in labor and macro economics but not all will have people in experimental or environmental economics.

That's a good point. Perhaps a better understanding of each field will be gained after reading tons of paper in the graduate program. What I am wondering is that when I choose which programs to apply, maybe I should figure out my own interests so that the program will fit. But maybe this is not obvious ex-ante but obvious ex-post.