Urch Forums

I'm aiming for a top 10 ECON program - is my GRE Quant too low?

pohkid

You wrote this yesterday: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159316&p=1011794&highlight=#post1011794

and you are confident about a top 10 placement? The GRE should not be your primary concern.

I have a high GPA from a top 10 undergrad institution. I'm confident that I can get good recs. The only missing piece is my quant GRE and I'm debating whether I should retake it. It is painful and time-consuming to prepare.

I have a high GPA from a top 10 undergrad institution. I'm confident that I can get good recs. The only missing piece is my quant GRE and I'm debating whether I should retake it. It is painful and time-consuming to prepare.

You're overconfident. Your previous post indicates that you won't expect to have recommendation letters from professors that you've worked with as a research assistant. In fact you don't seem to have any RA experience. This immediately puts you below the vast majority of top 10 admits. Even assuming you have a ~3.9 GPA in math/econ majors at a top U.S. undergrad, these profiles don't generally get into top 15 programs.

Like others have said, the GRE is not your main concern. You're most likely aiming too high with your current background. Your solution is to either aim lower, or spend 1-2 additional years (preferably in a research position) before you apply.