Urch Forums

Concerns about Econometrics background for masters application

CanadianEcon

Hi guys,

I will be applying to masters programs in Canada and possibly the UK this round and have a concern about my application. I did exceptionally well in introductory econometrics with a perfect grade, although I was planning on the department to allow me to take directed readings courses in econmetrics beyond the introductory level, but they are not allowing it.

How do you guys think this will affect my application? i'm worried many programs will either reject or have me do a pre-master year, especially given my university is not well known for economics (department only offers undergrad degrees).

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much. 2 semesters of introductory econometrics is standard for Canadian undergrads. If you are really worried, you could take an additional 2nd or 3rd year statistics course, like probability, regression or time-series; given your grades in econometrics, you are likely to do quite well.