Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Canadian/European Econ Masters

cbz2016

Hello,

Just wonder what would be my chance of getting into the MA programmes at UBC, Queen's, TSE M1 Stats&Metrics, CEMFI, and Bonn?

My major concerns are:

1. lack of math grades.I have never taken Cal I/II/III, Linear Algebra, and Probability Theory.

2. bad grades on previous MA field courses

I'm trying to overcome the math grades problem by taking the online PhD maths and stats camps at Rice which will begin in 2 weeks. Will it suffice?

Or, since there is still half a year before the deadlines, should I take this chance to do the netmath classes on Cal I/II/III + Applied Linear Algebra courses at Illinois? It costs quite a lot so I want to make sure if it is necessary.

Please find below my profile. I have converted my grades using the scale suggested by Foreign Credits (A will be the highest mark) in order to make it easier to be assessed.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: bus major, unknown LAC

Undergrad GPA: 3.32 (senior-year 3.61), 2:1

Type of Grad: MA Econ (Top 20 UK Econ Dept, RePEc)

Grad GPA: 63/100, merit

GRE: Q167/V150/AW3.0

Math Courses: bus math (B-), bus stats (A-), fin maths (A-), abstract maths (B), real analysis (B+)

Econ Courses (grad-level): micro I/II (A/A), macro I/II (B+/A), metrics (A-/B), adv macro (B), adv micro-metrics (B), IO (C+)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro metrics (A-), Bus Econ I/II (A-A-)

Other Courses: Principle of Investments (A), Corporate Finance (A-), Financial Derivatives (A), Fixed Income Securities (A), Portfolio Management (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Assist Profs from UPenn & UPF. Got my best grades in their courses. I'm also auditing one of the prof's senior-year course on adv mathematical econ. Hope that will give the prof more things to write for me.

Research Experience: MA Thesis, Econometrics Project

Teaching Experience: TA for Intermediate Micro/Macro; Instructor for Intro Econ

SOP:

Other: Hong Kong citizens

Applying to: UWO, UBC, Queen's, TSE M1 Stats&Metrics, CEMFI, Bonn

My target is to do an Econ PhD at any of these unis (Rice, UNC-Chapel Hill, TAMU, CUNY, Oregon, Clemson, Illinois at Chicago + the departments above). If my chance of getting an MA offer from those programmes is thin, will there be any other programmes that will suit me and also serve the purpose?

Thank you so much for your time. As well as answers to the questions that I've raised, any advice will be greatly appreciated.