Urch Forums

Need profile evaluation for Ph.D. this year. Thanks!

TOPgun123

Hi guys. I need some advice for applying Ph.D. this year. This is my brief profile. My profile is quite different from others as I have two undergrads. I have no idea my plan is reasonable. It would be wonderful if you cast some advice.

------------------------

Under:

Type of Undergrad: Top 5 school in my country (One of East Asia)

Major: Economics, minored Political Science

GPA: 3.95/4.00

1: Intermediate Micro (I), (II), Intermediate Macro (I), (II), Statistics, Intro to Economics, Mathematical Econ etc. all A.

2: Calculus I - B (This is only B in my transcript)

And then, I transferred to a U.S. University

Type of Undergrad: Top 3 public university. (Econ Top 15)

Major: Double Majored in Mathematics and Economics.

GPA: 3.76/4.00 (Econ 3.74/ Math 3.87)

1: Intermediate Micro – B (This is super critical. That was my first semester in U.S. school and I was in trouble in the new environment and had language problem), Intermediate Macro – A, Intermediate Econometrics - A, Labor – A-

2: Calculus (A+, A-), Analysis(A), Differential Equation (B+), Mathematical Stats (A), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A-) Numerical (A-), Nonlinear (A-) [This is from other summer school, but] Real Analysis – A+

----------------------------

Graduate:

Type of Grad: One of a Top econ departments in UK

GPA: In progress

Currently taking Ph.D- level Micro, Macro, Metric and one elective course.

-----------------------------

GRE: 155V/167Q/3.5W

Research Experience

1. Two independent researches from the two undergrads respectively.

2. One senior Thesis. Currently preparing a master thesis.

3. Doing RA at the Lab in grad school. Professor is really famous.

4. Doing another RA for the professor at Oxford. He is not very well-known

LOR

(1) From professor at the university in my country. He graduated Upen but not well known. However, he is kinda of my supporter, so he always writes strong letter for me.

(2) From professor supervised my senior thesis. Graduated from Berkeley, he is not mature scholar, but rising star in his field. So, quite well known in his field. Also, he knows me quite well so will write strong letter

(3) From a professor in current school. He is also not well known, but he usually writes a strong letter for students

TA Experience: Calculus, Macroeconomics for a year.

Field of Interest: Macro, RBC, Monetary, International

Applying: Thinking of only applying few school, as prepare for the next year round doing RA: Berkeley Columbia, Upenn, UCLA, Minnesota, Wisconsin,

Concerns: Relatively low GRE. Also, low GPA at the second undergrad school, diluting my performance. One bright point is after I screwed up the first semester, my CGPA was strictly increased. Current grad school has a very good reputation and known for landing many students at least in Top 15, but I don’t know that will help my profile.

(My opinion is irrelevant as I am an undergrad, this is more of a comment)

If this isn't a great profile, I don't understand what is. You graduated Magna Cum Laude in Math & Econ from a very good program, with virtually perfect grades in Analysis/math in general. You then went on to a top Economics masters, and you have a good amount of research experience. Your GRE is in the 90% range. Be confident in yourself. If you're really that worried, add a school or two that's lower down.

I added two schools more. So they are: Berkeley Columbia, Upenn, UCLA, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Duke and Brown

Really appreciate your comment. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Magna Cum Laude from the second undergrad institution (Where I got final Bachelor diploma) 3.76 is not acceptable CGPA for the mark (I got a cum laude though) From that point, my concern is, how the committee will actually measure my true ability, and I am pretty sure that the 3.95 one will be discounted severely. Having said that, I conclude my GPA is actually below average from the typical applicants who will apply the listed schools above. Moreover, I have no idea about the LORs, because the writers are not popular and well known at academia in the US, even though they will be all strong.

As you know, all this application things are very soul-crushing, so frankly I want to avoid to do the RA next year. Well, I don't know.. if, the plan to aim those schools is appropriate.

Thanks for your comment again. I may be too discouraged.

(My opinion is irrelevant as I am an undergrad, this is more of a comment)

If this isn't a great profile, I don't understand what is. You graduated Magna Cum Laude in Math & Econ from a very good program, with virtually perfect grades in Analysis/math in general. You then went on to a top Economics masters, and you have a good amount of research experience. Your GRE is in the 90% range. Be confident in yourself. If you're really that worried, add a school or two that's lower down.

I have added three more school the lists so, Berkeley Columbia, Upenn, UCLA, Minnesota, UCSD, Wisconsin, Duke and Brown

I replied few days ago, but for some reason, it has been disappeared. First of all, thank your for your warm comment. Unfortunately, I couldn't graduated with Magna Cum Laude (I got a cum laude though) The concern is I have no idea how the committee actually will measure my true ability for studying and researching. 3.95 GPA is quite good, but later on, my performance had quite decreased, so I am pretty sure that they will severely discount my true GPA. In that sense, my combined GPA may be below average than typical applicants who usually aims the schools listed above. So, yes. I can say that there is some uncertainties in my profile, so I have really no idea applying those level of school is a right strategy. It would be wonderful if someone gives me some idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This seems appropriate. I'd add NYU to your list and 1 school from top 20-30. I think your approach is OK, conditional on having an RA fallback. The school I'd first think of in the 20-30 range is BC. Also you're at a top school and in PhD courses, ask the professors what they think.

This seems appropriate. I'd add NYU to your list and 1 school from top 20-30. I think your approach is OK, conditional on having an RA fallback. The school I'd first think of in the 20-30 range is BC. Also you're at a top school and in PhD courses, ask the professors what they think.

Thanks for the great advice!! I just decided to focus more in this year, and may not apply the RAs. So, I put more extensive lists of schools

Chicago, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Yale, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UCSD, Cornell, Carnegie, Maryland, Brown and BU (Maybe JHU or Washu?)

I talked with LOR professor in current school, with my all profile and he just said my lists looks good. By the way, can I ask why you recommended BC? Is it good in Macro? No offence, I just don't know much about it.