Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PHD in Economics--need advice

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PHD in Economics--need advice

Sponsored Ad:
    I don't really have the time or money necessary to retake it, unfortunately. I have good LORs. All from teachers who have seen me do research as well--graduates of OSU, Oregon, and Cambridge.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybuck95 View Post
    I don't really have the time or money necessary to retake it, unfortunately. I have good LORs. All from teachers who have seen me do research as well--graduates of OSU, Oregon, and Cambridge.
    Then you won't get into the good programs on your list. Most of those good programs on your list have an average GRE Quant score of above 167. I've heard that a score of 167 might not be good enough to get into some of those good ones and only a score of 170 MIGHT guarantee success.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by kingofloss6 View Post
    Then you won't get into the good programs on your list. Most of those good programs on your list have an average GRE Quant score of above 167. I've heard that a score of 167 might not be good enough to get into some of those good ones and only a score of 170 MIGHT guarantee success.
    It won't be so extreme. Adcoms recognise that other aspects of the application package are important as well. However, that being said, they might set the GRE cut to 85th percentile, for example, which translates to a quant of 164-165 if they receive an inordinate amount of applications this year. Hence why the general advice is to get 165+ so you don't have to worry about whether your package survives the first cut. All other preparation will be for naught if adcoms don't even look at your profile, right?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    It won't be so extreme. Adcoms recognise that other aspects of the application package are important as well. However, that being said, they might set the GRE cut to 85th percentile, for example, which translates to a quant of 164-165 if they receive an inordinate amount of applications this year. Hence why the general advice is to get 165+ so you don't have to worry about whether your package survives the first cut. All other preparation will be for naught if adcoms don't even look at your profile, right?
    I'm a current graduate student at a similar middle ranking institution and when I applied, my advisors told me exactly that as a prerequisite to admissions in a top 30 place, so either my advisors are wrong and I got a higher than average result. But that help the OP know that if you get your GRE score as high as possible, it doesn't hurt.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybuck95 View Post
    You have to find the time. The GRE has an outsized role in the early decisions surrounding admissions and your score is simply too low. You'd be better off doing two less applications and using that money towards the GRE. To find time, drop a class, work less, or whatever.

The constraints on your time and money are temporary and unimportant relative to the benefit from getting a better score (even 2 or 3 points would be huge) on the GRE.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tm_member View Post
    You have to find the time. The GRE has an outsized role in the early decisions surrounding admissions and your score is simply too low. You'd be better off doing two less applications and using that money towards the GRE. To find time, drop a class, work less, or whatever.

The constraints on your time and money are temporary and unimportant relative to the benefit from getting a better score (even 2 or 3 points would be huge) on the GRE.
    Definitely concur with what tm_member said. The rest of your application is irrelevant if you don't survive the first few rounds of cuts. You can have solid RA experience & 2 papers R&R at some Tier A journal, for example, but if adcoms don't even see your application because your package didn't make the first cut, it's all for naught. They need a simple metric to help them thin the pile of applicants they receive to a more manageable number before they give each package a look. That's what the GRE is for.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Consider going into industry for a year and then applying afte re-taking the GRE. In the grand scheme of things, one year is nothing in academia. Especially since it looks like you just graduated from college. Average age in my cohort was past 25.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Let me say some of this a little differently. You are choosing where to spend the next five or six years and strongly influencing what your life will be like for the next 40 years. It seems odd that retaking the GRE isn't worth it to you. That said, your GRE score is good enough for some of the programs on your list, although probably not most of them.

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you to everyone! Startz, I see your point here. I think I am going to retake, because you are right that in the long term an extra 200 dollars and some time is going to be worth it if it improves my school and career options. Thank you so much for your advice!

Good post? Yes | No

If that semester stands out as an anomaly in your transcript, you might want to mention it in the Personal Statement or SOP. Also look at the timeline for your transcript. If after that semester of Bs, you consistently got As in math, you should be fine. For your letters, you might want someone who can reassure the admission committee about your math capability. Unfortunately, you might not survive the first cut with your GRE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information