See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PHD in Economics--need advice

Eager!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: PHD in Economics--need advice

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    Honestly, I would not bother attending these phd programs. Your employment options are going to be terrible.
    This is terrible advice. I am a professor at one of the (weaker) schools on her list. We place students at good academic jobs and excellent non-academic jobs.

If you love the prospect of doing academic-style research, go to a good school that has faculty that match your research interests. You'll do what you love. If you do well, you'll have a great job. Make sure you explain in your application why you are a good match for the school. Once you are accepted, have a talk with the Director of Graduate Studies to learn more about the program and whether it is the best match for you.

Regarding the GRE, retake it if you can. But it isn't too low to be considered by many of the schools on your list, esp if your math grades are mostly As and Bs. We, for example, select just as much on the analytical and verbal scores. The fact is that some schools in the 30-70 range select mainly on math and others are looking for sufficient math and skills in other areas. Some of this depends on the fields that departments specialize in. They end up with very different types of students.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you for this helpful advice, TBE! After taking some time to think and talk to my professors, I think I will end up perfectly happy and pleased with a school in the 30-70 range. My interests are largely in urban and public economics; if I can be at a school that has good faculty in these fields, is supportive of my education, and challenges me, I will be happy. I want to do research and to teach someday, and I think that these schools can reasonably put me there. Thanks for your encouragement. It is greatly appreciated!

Within my grasp!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tbe View Post
    This is terrible advice. I am a professor at one of the (weaker) schools on her list. We place students at good academic jobs and excellent non-academic jobs.
    Ohh really? Please, elaborate. How many students get a good academic job every year or an excellent non-academic job? Where are these good academic and non-academic jobs? Now, how do these jobs compare to those from, say, a top 30 school?

Within my grasp!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

tbe, the weaker schools listed are UIC, Milwaukee, Oregon, UConn.... it is dishonest to say that getting a tenure track job from those places is a likely outcome for the median student.

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    tbe, the weaker schools listed are UIC, Milwaukee, Oregon, UConn.... it is dishonest to say that getting a tenure track job from those places is a likely outcome for the median student.
    Out of curiosity, I took a look at Oregon's placements. Looks to me that the median placement is a tenure track job.

Of course stronger departments have better placements. But especially for teaching jobs, some "merely quite good" departments place quite well. If you want to end up at MIT, you'd probably better start at a place like Harvard. On the other hand, in the last three years Harvard has placed exactly zero students in top liberal arts schools (I did a very quick count, feel free to correct me if I missed something), while Oregon had placements.at Lewis & Clark, Macalester, Bentley, Oberlin, and Grinnell.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Out of curiosity, I took a look at Oregon's placements. Looks to me that the median placement is a tenure track job.

Of course stronger departments have better placements. But especially for teaching jobs, some "merely quite good" departments place quite well. If you want to end up at MIT, you'd probably better start at a place like Harvard. On the other hand, in the last three years Harvard has placed exactly zero students in top liberal arts schools (I did a very quick count, feel free to correct me if I missed something), while Oregon had placements.at Lewis & Clark, Macalester, Bentley, Oberlin, and Grinnell.
    True, but I was under the assumption that his goal was to place at an okay state school. The schools you mention are not really state schools.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information