See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHD in Economics--need advice

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

PHD in Economics--need advice

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello,

My name is Lindsey and I am in the process of applying for a PhD in Economics. I'm panicking a little about not getting into any of the schools I am applying at, and hoping for some advice.

Stats:
    GPA: 3.83 undergrad from University of Montana
    GRE: 161Q, 160V, 6A
    Activities and honors: Honors college, global leadership initiative at my school, "outstanding graduate in economics," two undergraduate mathematics scholarships, two honors scholarships, wrote two thesis papers for my undergraduate--one for the economics major, the other not
    Courses: Calc 1,2, Multivariable, LA, Stat 216, Stat 351, Econometrics, Money and Banking, all intermediate macro and micro courses, Game Theory, Health Economics, Senior Thesis, Research Methods (All As in Econ classes--mix of As and Bs in math)

Schools I am applying to: UMass Amherst, UW Milwaukee, U Connecticut, U Oregon, U Illinois at Chicago, Boston U, Boston College, GWU, Georgetown, Washington U at St Louis

Thoughts: I am aware that my quant GRE score isn't extremely high (80th) percentile, but hoping I can be pulled up by some of my other stats. I also know that some of my schools are higher range than others; I attempted to spread them out to make myself more likely to get a couple of offers.

What do you think are my prospects of getting into some of the schools I have applied for? How can I come back from a lower GRE quant score?

Thanks in advance!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PHD in Economics--need advice

Why are you applying to UMass Amherst? They are a heterodox school and the other schools you are applying to are all mainstream. Not sure about your odds there.

I think you have a chance at UIC, Milwaukee, Oregon, UConn. Your odds at the other schools are not very good. Your GRE Q will be an issue as well the overall reputation of your undergrad.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Retake the Quant. Aim for close to a perfect score and you'll have a chance at the better schools on your list.

Within my grasp!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Honestly, I would not bother attending these phd programs. Your employment options are going to be terrible.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    Honestly, I would not bother attending these phd programs. Your employment options are going to be terrible.
    You don't mean every school in OP's list, do you? BU, Boston College, WUSTL, and UIUC (hell maybe even Georgetown) may not get you tenure track jobs at a T50 with any regularity, but I wouldn't say the employment options coming from these programs are terrible. I may come closer to agreeing on the rest of the list.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by thagzone View Post
    You don't mean every school in OP's list, do you? BU, Boston College, WUSTL, and UIUC (hell maybe even Georgetown) may not get you tenure track jobs at a T50 with any regularity, but I wouldn't say the employment options coming from these programs are terrible. I may come closer to agreeing on the rest of the list.
    Hmm that is weird. It looks like my computer is not loading this thread properly because I am not seeing those. The schools you listed are okay

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for the information! What do you think job prospects are with a degree from one of those schools? I'm trying to be realistic; I know I won't end up teaching at Harvard, but is there a chance that I'd end up at an OK state school as a professor? Could you all weigh in? Thank you for any advice in advance. It is much appreciated!

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Most schools post their recent job placements. Take a look and see if ending up somewhere in the middle of the pack would make you happy.

Good post? Yes | No

I think that I would be plenty happy in the middle of the pack. What are your thoughts on my prospects of doing well and enjoying a PhD program? I know I didn't study hard enough and didn't do incredibly well on the GRE and I have some Bs in math (all in the same semester--my mother was dying and I ended up taking care of her a lot that semester--not an excuse, but I do believe I am reasonably good at math and could have gotten As). I have a great love for economics and I love being in academic environments. My largest goal is to be a good professor and live somewhere enjoyable where I get inspiration and have talented people in my department. Thoughts? Thank you!

economist

Good post? Yes | No

It's going to depend a lot on what your letters of recommendation say.

Why haven't you retaken the GRE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information