Urch Forums

Retaking GRE only Quant Section

slimshady

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to only take the quant section when retaking the GRE.

I've only written it once, and had (V=160-165/Q=160-165/AWA=4.0).

I'm actually okay with the V and AWA scores, but I really need to improve my Q score.

Do admission committees for Econ PhD care if you send both scores, but with a second try with only scores for Q?

Cheers,

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to only take the quant section when retaking the GRE.

I've only written it once, and had (V=160-165/Q=160-165/AWA=4.0).

I'm actually okay with the V and AWA scores, but I really need to improve my Q score.

Do admission committees for Econ PhD care if you send both scores, but with a second try with only scores for Q?

Cheers,

If you've managed to get 160+ for Verbal, another random attempt will still set you above 155 at the very least. Since it's not inordinately low, the verbal scores won't raise questions. Taking the full test will look better, and you ought to focus on getting at least 165 for Quant, if you're aiming to enter a decent programme, so that you can be confident your profile will survive the first few cuts.

Long story short: it doesn't matter if you get even a 150V/170Q. That still trumps a 160/160 for example. So don't get too attached to your Verbal and AW scores. Just make sure they aren't terribly low.