Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - Econ PhD for Fall 2018

satriale

Hello! I’d like your opinions on which schools I should be aiming for with my profile. For personal reasons, I’m aiming for top 20 - top 50 near large metropolitan areas. Thanks!

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 undergrad, Top 40 econ dept.

Major: Economics/Mathematics, minor in finance

Undergrad GPA: 3.5 (major), 3.3 (cum).

GRE: 160Q, 165V (retaking soon to improve quant)

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A-), Econometrics (B+), Advanced Econometrics (B), Economic Consulting and Applied Econometrics (A) [now considered masters level], Mathematical Methods in Economics (B-) [some real analysis, topology, linear-algebra based optimization], Directed Research(A)

Math Courses: Calc 1,2,3 (B,A,C) [community college didn’t have +/-], Linear Algebra and Linear Differential Equations (B), Probability Theory (B-), Mathematical Statistics (A) [proof-based]

Other courses: Matlab (B-)

Potential LOR:

1) Research advisor/adv. econometrics professor. Policy PhD from Harvard, was a student of famous economists at MIT and other schools

2) Research advisor/Intro Econometrics professor. Econ PhD from top 10 econ dept.

3) Mathematical Statistics professor. Applied Math PhD top 50 or Int. Macro Professor Econ PhD top 40 (both of these profs went to the same school)

Research Experience: two independent research papers, knowledge of Stata/Matlab/Python

Interests: applied microeconomics (welfare, political econ, public econ, development), environmental econ

Other: International internship (business-related), self-taught SE asian language (read/write/speak)

The finance minor made me realize that I’m not interested in that field and dropped my GPA a little. During my final year of college there were also some extenuating circumstances that can explain for some of the B’s/B-’s. The C in multi-variable calc can also be explained. (I’ve had a difficult life)

Some target schools: University of Washington, University of Texas - Austin, University of Maryland - College Park (who state affirmative action for my ethnicity), Georgetown, Rice, University of Colorado—Boulder, Brown, Johns Hopkins

I’d also like to know if there are any good UK schools near metropolitan areas in my range. I’m considering Master’s programs as well but the cost is a limiting factor.

• 2 weeks later...
The math grades and low GRE score are going to make most of the schools you've listed hard to get into, as well as survive first year coursework. I don't know the masters requirements, but I know that in the US duke masters students have fared well in both getting a job or PhD admission. But I don't know how generous the funding is.