Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Evaluation - Econ PhD for Fall 2018

""

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation - Econ PhD for Fall 2018

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello! Iíd like your opinions on which schools I should be aiming for with my profile. For personal reasons, Iím aiming for top 20 - top 50 near large metropolitan areas. Thanks!

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 undergrad, Top 40 econ dept.
    Major: Economics/Mathematics, minor in finance
    Undergrad GPA: 3.5 (major), 3.3 (cum).
    GRE: 160Q, 165V (retaking soon to improve quant)

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A-), Econometrics (B+), Advanced Econometrics (B), Economic Consulting and Applied Econometrics (A) [now considered masters level], Mathematical Methods in Economics (B-) [some real analysis, topology, linear-algebra based optimization], Directed Research(A)

Math Courses: Calc 1,2,3 (B,A,C) [community college didnít have +/-], Linear Algebra and Linear Differential Equations (B), Probability Theory (B-), Mathematical Statistics (A) [proof-based]

Other courses: Matlab (B-)

Potential LOR:
    1) Research advisor/adv. econometrics professor. Policy PhD from Harvard, was a student of famous economists at MIT and other schools
    2) Research advisor/Intro Econometrics professor. Econ PhD from top 10 econ dept.
    3) Mathematical Statistics professor. Applied Math PhD top 50 or Int. Macro Professor Econ PhD top 40 (both of these profs went to the same school)

Research Experience: two independent research papers, knowledge of Stata/Matlab/Python
    Interests: applied microeconomics (welfare, political econ, public econ, development), environmental econ
    Other: International internship (business-related), self-taught SE asian language (read/write/speak)

The finance minor made me realize that Iím not interested in that field and dropped my GPA a little. During my final year of college there were also some extenuating circumstances that can explain for some of the Bís/B-ís. The C in multi-variable calc can also be explained. (Iíve had a difficult life)

Some target schools: University of Washington, University of Texas - Austin, University of Maryland - College Park (who state affirmative action for my ethnicity), Georgetown, Rice, University of ColoradoóBoulder, Brown, Johns Hopkins

Iíd also like to know if there are any good UK schools near metropolitan areas in my range. Iím considering Masterís programs as well but the cost is a limiting factor.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation - Econ PhD for Fall 2018

I don't think you have a chance at most of those schools to be honest, especially with that GRE. If you want to do a PhD I would apply more broadly in the top 40-60.

""

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you for the reply (and honesty). If I improve my GRE quant score, do you think I'd have a shot at a Canadian master's program? (Toronto, BC...)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

The math grades and low GRE score are going to make most of the schools you've listed hard to get into, as well as survive first year coursework. I don't know the masters requirements, but I know that in the US duke masters students have fared well in both getting a job or PhD admission. But I don't know how generous the funding is.

Thread Information