Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with profile evaluation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Help with profile evaluation

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm a UK-based student, currently doing an MSc and applying for PhDs in econ for Fall 2018. I'm trying to figure out where I should aim to get accepted. Would that potentially be top10, top20, top30 or maybe lower? I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Undergraduate

Type of Undergrad: Top 3-5 UK uni for economics and maths
    Major: Economics and statistics (basically 50/50)
    GPA: 80% (First-Class honours)
    Maths: two-semester analysis, one-semester linear algebra, set theory, multivariate calculus (all 1st class honours, top 5% of the class); loads of statistics courses (all of them 1st clas honours).
    Economics: 12 courses in total, mathematical economics, intermediate level micro, macro and econometrics (almost all 1st class honours).
    Thesis: (macroeconomics)Top 1 in almost 400 students cohort; received a departamental prize for that

Graduate

Type of Grad: Oxbridge
    Major: Statistics
    GPA: won't be available before I apply for PhD.
    Courses: loads of advanced mathematical statistics.

GRE
    : 169 Quant

Research Experience
    - Two internships in governments related to macro policy.
    - Research assistant at a national research institution.

I know it might not be enough information to give an accurate evaluation, but I was wondering whether based on that you could make a suggestion how I stand among applications from the US and what sort of range of unis I should apply to. Cheers!
    Last edited by greg3; 11-08-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Help with profile evaluation

anyone?

Good post? Yes | No

I am assuming that your undergraduate GPA is around 3.2 in the American system. Then that might be your problem. It would help to know which classes you did not do as well.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your answer! I would think that 80% in the UK system would translate to at least 3.9 GPA if not 4.0, am I wrong? I know it's a bit peculiar, in the way the British systems works it's usually difficult to score 70+%, while in the US it'd be a good pass.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

You seem to have a good record. Almost any place is plausible, especially if someone says you were the best of 400 students. Where do your recommenders suggest you apply?

Good post? Yes | No

My recommenders were comfortable with recommending me to Harvard or Princeton, but my personal top choices are Yale and Cornell. I'll get a reference from my thesis' supervisor, who will mention my relative performance. Thing I'm most worried about is that I don't have any hard-core maths like measure theory, metric spaces, ODEs, topology etc.

Good post? Yes | No

You are probably right. I am not familiar with the UK system. Then sky is the limit. But I would recommend applying to more schools. At top universities, even with a great application like yours, it can all come down to luck.

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you Richard. I really don't want to make a mistake of overestimating my chances as I know that there are hundreds of, probably better, candidates from the US. Do you think that applying broadly to top 1-35 to about 15 schools I should stand a good chance? Or rather, should I pick some schools from top 50-100 just in case?

Good post? Yes | No

A former Admission committee chair once gave me this advice. Split your application into 3 tiers, and apply a couple schools in each tier. For example, 5 in Top 15, 5 in 15 - 30, and 2 in 30 - 50. The last group will be your safety school. It might be a good idea to choose the lower ranked schools to apply to in part based on what different programs are good at. In general, if you can get into the top 20 programs, you should go for the highest ranked one because those programs are generally very good in all major fields, but as you go down the rankings, the fields become more important.

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Richard7 View Post
    A former Admission committee chair once gave me this advice. Split your application into 3 tiers, and apply a couple schools in each tier. For example, 5 in Top 15, 5 in 15 - 30, and 2 in 30 - 50. The last group will be your safety school. It might be a good idea to choose the lower ranked schools to apply to in part based on what different programs are good at. In general, if you can get into the top 20 programs, you should go for the highest ranked one because those programs are generally very good in all major fields, but as you go down the rankings, the fields become more important.
    Richard7 is giving good advice. But if your advisors are willing to recommend you to Harvard and Princeton, then apply heavily to the top 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information